0-200 Oil Temp and Spin On Filters

bookmaker

Todd (69GCBC) and I have been discussing by e-mail issues with oil temperature and spin on oil filter adapters for the early Citabrias with the Continental 0-200.

Todd indicated he had a friend who has one that seems to run very high oil temperatures. So much so, he has quit flying it (along with other reasons). Todd asked me if I had an oil cooler. I do not, but I don't recall noticing excessive oil temperatures either. I have only had mine since April, but did fly it last summer in the Florida panhandle area. Not exactly the cool spot of the country. Mine has a CHT gauge and I do notice an increase temperature in climb, but that is expected.

Does anyone have any information with this type problem and/or solutions?

Secondly, we were discussing spin on oil filter adapters. I bought one from K & M and planned on having it installed while my plane was converted from generator to alternator. However, the attachment point on the block is directly in line with the left side engine air baffle. While mounting the adapter and filter is no problem, removing, reworking and reinstalling the baffle looks to be a major project. We postponed it to another date.

Has anyone installed a spin on oil filter (especially the K & M) on an 0-200 in a Citabria? Any photos, pointers, etc.

Dale

I am still looking for anyone who has added a spin on oil filter to an o-200.

Photos, or ideas for modifying the left air baffle would be a big help.

Thanks,

Dale

I've put one on a Cessna 150 and an experimental, but not on the Citabria. Probably worth the rework in my view, but your mileage may vary.

Other than saying to check the gauge for accuracy, I can't help with the high oil temp problem either.

Thanks for the reply, but I have no oil temp problem - yet. That was a question for another member.

What I am trying to find is assistance on a efficient rework of the baffle. Hopefully to prevent future problems. Currently in my Citabria, the left baffle is directly in line with the port on the case where the adapter attaches. :cry:

Dale

Back