0-540 in a 14-19 ????

gjordan

I was just talking to bracket filter Company and he said that he thought there was a 14-19 in Europe with a Lyc. 0-540. Has anyone heard of this? Is European technical data honored at all by our FAA? Just curious! ____Grant.

I thought about it. a 235 HP O-540 out of a Piper Apache 235 would probably fit the motor mount and the exhaust pipes, using parts from the O-435 as required. Getting a suitable prop to fit the face of the cowl might be an issue. The H.P. would fall within the Type Certificate for the 14-19-2 series, so maybe the FAA DAR could go for it. There is at least one 14-19-2 with a PPonk O-470-50 upgrade (275 hp). 14-19-3(a) is 260 hp.
The evolution of Cruisemaster has been one of my interests. The 14-19 is older/simpler. The 14-19-3a has much stronger flaps (3 hinges!) and the fabrication of the spars would need to be checked to make sure it is at least as strong as a 14-19-2. Vne 227 mph is much easier to approach with more power.
After that, I would annually check the fuselage at the back, for cracks like the AD for Vikings.
(I still think a Radial Engine is the ticket, like a grown up 14-9!)

The PPONK upgrade sounds like the best for the 14-19-2. Everything would still fit and it would still be a simple carb fed engine. I think that you cant even tell from the outside, which is why I suspect that there is probably more than one PPONK mod in a Bellanca. It is like putting 220 jugs on a Franklin 180. I doubt there are 10 people in the world that would notice without a tear down. 40 more HP would make a nice difference. Just dreaming again. Grant.

While I'm not an expert with Stinsons and Lycomings, I did run into a couple 108-3 that were undergoing conversion to the B4B5 engine. This series is rated at 235 Hp. and easily uprated to 250. The owners claimed that the parallel valve engine is a few pounds lighter than the O-435A in the Bellanca. According to the Stinson owners, there were nine previous installations. I don't remember if there was a multiple STC or not.
Dan

Back