14-13(-2) Battery Location

jeffw

Over the years of owning my 14-13-2 persons have commented about my battery location and I have heard that the battery is supposed to be located behind the rear seat somewhere for weight and balance reasons. And, the recent discussion re battery location got me to looking into this. I have been thinking for years that I should move my battery to the rear for W&B reasons.

My battery is located in the engine compartment between the firewall and the rear engine baffle plate, high on the right side. I have the Cruisair Senior Parts Manual (14-13 and 14-13-2 Models A thru E), Plate 101 and the parts listing indicates the battery located right where mine is located and Plate 102 shows the same battery box as I have. From this I am realizing the the rearward battery location that I hear so much about must be for the 14-19 models and not for the 14-13's. Yes - No?

Jeff, the 14-19 and -2 battery is back at the tail. The TC says it should be 33 1/2 lbs. Back in it's day this included a 5 lb lead fixed ballast. The Cruisemaster is a nose heavy plane. I fly mine all the time with the aux tank full and lots of crap in the baggage compartment. The aft CG makes for speed and real easy 3 point landings. Lynn the crate :)

Jeff, it belongs on the firewall where you describe yours. Have you noticed any CG problems? I ind that it would take a lot of work to get mine out of CG...more likely to be a weight problem.
Larry

Mine is also on the firewall. I would imagine they moved the battery back on the masters because of the larger engines?

Kevin

The 14-13s that had the Lyc. 0-435 STCd into them had the battery moved to the tail. I just looked at the STC for the Franklin 180 (6A335B) and it doesnt say to move the battery, but one plane that I looked at with a 180 had moved it. The Lyc. 0-435 is a heavy hunk of iron to put on the front of an agile airplane. I still think the Ideal re engine for the 14-19 would be the Franklin 220. Much lighter, more power,less fuel burn ,and no reason to have the battery 15 feet further aft. Oh if they were only still available! ____Grant.

Back