14-13-2 Front Windshield Cracks > needs replacement

jeffw

Went flying yesterday and just after liftoff a whistle/screeching sound started and got louder as speed increased, very loud at cruise. Could not feel any extra air infiltration anywhere. Landed.

Looked everywhere for anything abnormal that would explain the sound. Then I saw that my front windshield has developed some spider vein cracks along the lower leading edge near the center, parallel to the leading edge. A very slight rise (.005" +/-) of the back side of a crack approximately 3" long was able to catch enough air to produce a whistle through the hairline crack.

Did a search and found that Univair lists a 'BELLANCA WINDSHIELD' applicable for a Bellanca 14-13 for $372; part number -9892-6X, brand LP Aero Plastics.

Has anyone had any direct or associated experience with this windshield replacement in their 14-13?

And, is there any set of instructions, go-by's - for the procedure for replacing it. I know it will be a major job involving getting into the fairing of the windshield all around the cabin edge enclosure.

I have done a fix to seal the cracks and mitigate any further cracking until this repair can be made. #52 drill-stopped the cracks, epoxied a narrow strip of a thin piece of cure-hardened fiberglas cloth to the back side, and applied a drip of epoxy into each drill-stop hole.

I don't have any experience with the Univair windshield, but my previous Cruisair had the windshield replaced with a Windshield from Cee Bailey's. The fitment and finish was very nice, but I did not have to install it, so no wisdom there.

Here is the link to the Cee Baileys Windshield:

http://store.ceebaileys.com/Windshield-Bellanca-Cruisair-14-13-14-13-2-14-p/cb-800.htm

I'm not aware of instructions specific to any of these birds. I replaced all the windows of my 14-19 with Cee Baily's product. The windshield required a lot of trimming and fitting. There are drill bits designed for use on plexiglass. It's a tedious process, but you have to take it slow. Treat it like an eggshell. Don't remove any of the protective coatings till you're absolutely sure of a good fit. AC43.13 provides some guidance. Tom Robinson

Back