14-13-3 not charging - voltage regulator?

dtreid

My Cruisair isn't charging. The generator looks good, but the voltage regulator looks original. Does anyone know a test procedure for it, and what model the regulator is?
I figured that I'd start with the regulator as it seems inexpensive and is easy to change.

DT, You can start the process by flashing the field. To do this take a jumper wire from the battery or battery connection at the regulator and touch it to the A (armature lead ) on the generator. Scratch across so it sparks a couple times. This sets the polarity and gives a little power for the generator to come online. The regulator is normally the culprit. You need to match the regulator to the generator. If you have a 35 amp generator you need a 35 amp regulator etc.. You can get a regulator at any auto parts store. If that doen't help you can call Zeftronics 903-758-6661 as they have a free tech help line which is super. They will walk you through a step by step process at no charge. You might also consider a GCU instead of the mechanical regulator. I installed one in my crate and the generator comes online at 650 rpm the old mechanical on was at 850 rpm. A GCU (generator contol unit) is an electronic voltage regulator with no mechanical parts. It is always the simple stuff so start cheap. Lynn the crate 8)

Any good old auto electric biz ( one that's been in business for 50 years) can put your regulator on the test
bench... test it and adjust it if that is indicated.

You can open it up , and you will find 3 sets of "relay" contacts. You can use a burnishing tool, or in a pinch 400 grit
emery cloth ( wet /dry sand paper) and clean the contacts

Do NOT bend them. That messes up the adjustment that controls charge voltage, reverse current, and
over current.

If you use the emery cloth method.. wipe the contacts clean several times. Use rubbing alky or similar
to clean any grease, or grit.

It is imperative you not leave any grit on the contacts or they will pit and burn very rapidly.

This is no different than cleaning the points in a distributor.

---

this is a no cost thing you can do,

but if you can get a new replacement for the Delco regulator.. it is probably cheaper than
going the shop route.. except by actually testing.. you will KNOW if you need to replace the thing or not.

Shotgunning parts is an expensive way to trouble shoot.

good thing about the solid state units... is they aren't likely to go bad .
the zefftronics thing has all manner of neat diagnostic features - good for "next time".

larry

I have a delco 26amp generator on the Cruisair. If I run the numbers, the voltage regulator that was on the plane is a 35amp.

Can I use these two together?

Back