14-13 brakes, brake pedals and airspeed indicator questions.

kitepilot

OK, here are the first of the long list of questions that I have (or will have) for the list:

I am loosing breaks on both wheels, and master cylinders just got new "O" rings.
What could be causing that or where do I look for the leak?

I want to install breaks pedals on the right side, is that an insurmountable task?

I am having unreliably airspeed indications, will your first bet be a bad gauge, a bad pitot or a leak in the line?

Is there anyone in the corner of North West Georgia (I can see Alabama and Tennessee from by backyard http://kitepilot.com/may/100B0970.JPG) that could provide assistance with those projects?
Any help will be appreciated and can be rewarded with glider instruction... :)
THANKS!
Enrique A. Troconis

In regard to your ASI. Anybody with a Pitot-Static test set can tell you what is right and what is wrong with your airspeed. Two things you can do yourself. Make sure the pitot line and the static line is clear and not leaking. Pitot heads make great homes for Mud daubers. They can clog a line in 20 min.! Oh Boy, you have only just begun! Lynn the crate :p

Ah...
Thanks! :)
I'll find out later on this afternoon and post it here.
It doesn't seem to be the 'normal' wheels with 'disc brakes and calipers' that I have always seen (and my Super Viking had), but I am a 'mechanically challenged' computer geek and I could be wrong.
Imagine that...

Any suggestion how do I find that out other than looking carefully at the wheels and hoping to find something written there that will jump up and bite my nose?

What Larry is getting at is: if they aren't disk brakes then you will be fighting an uphill battle. I had the old bladder brakes on my 14-19 and continually fought leaks and low to no pressure until I just bit the bullet and changed out to Cleveland wheels and brakes. It is amazing what a difference it makes.

Michael

If you don't have an obvious hydraulic leak, it could be something as simple as worn pads. I have had Goodyear's on mine, and despite the fact that everyone (or almost everyone) seems to swear at them, I have had good luck with them for the last 20+ yrs. Problem with Goodyears are that for the price of pads, I could almost buy Clevelands!
Good luck,
Larry

OK, I went to the airport and I didn't get to fly, but got to go skydiving... :cool:
The wheels have no visible disk or caliper and have an inscription (among others) outside:
'Wheeler Dealer'

I didn't get the girl out of the hangar, but the breaks seemed pretty solid.
Go figure...
Thanks!

Your Question about dual brakes in a Cruisair is something I spent a lot of time trying to figure out and finally gave up on. The structural layout of the fuselage doesnt allow anywhere near full travel with full braking. Maybe if you put the type of pedals that you push on the bottom for braking(I dont mean heel brakes) you could make things clear, but then you would have brakes that work just the opposite from left seat to right seat. I would think that could lead to a disaster._____Good Luck___Grant.

Wheeler Dealer is a previous name for Bodell Brakes. All of the parts and information is available from Jim Green , who is one of our club members. His number is listed in the BC magazine. They are not as simple as Cleavlands, but when set up right, they are just fine for the weight of our Cruisairs.______Grant.

Back