14-13 fuel selector valve

alfybill

My Cruisair, NC74414, has both a shutoff and a selector valve. The selector valve seems to be harder than usual to operate after a situation where it refused to change tanks. That was a case where it rotated about 15 degrees (or the needed 90) and stopped. After making sure I could make an airport with what I believed was the remaining fuel in the originally selected take, I tried working the valve, and after about 5 tries, it operated, but with much resistance. Later on the ground, it continued to operate consistently, but with the same resistance. I did discover that if I press in on the valve handle where it is attached to the valve shaft (moving the plug against the internal spring), it turns quite easily. The movement is on the order of 1/32 inch.

Dan Torrey tells me the valve is made of unobtainium, so I am starting the probably long road to a repair or to replacement with a different valve while flying as if I have only 20 gal. on board until proven otherwise on each flight. I understand the later serial numbers of the 14-13 have a combined selector/shutoff. I wonder if any of those are available, or if I can install a valve approved for a similar aircraft that IS available?

It looks like the valve could be dissembled by removing a hex cap at the rear, but I don't want to try until I have an out if it breaks.

My concern is that the stoppage was caused by something in the fuel, or from a disintegrating internal o-ring, spring, etc., that cleared but might come back.

Any help would be appreciated,

Bill

take it apart and then use fuel lube to cover the unattainable. Put it back together and it will work fine. Been there, LYNN THE CRATE

Lynn is correct. The valve body is aluminum. I don't remember if there's a cone or ball inside. Clean and lubricate with "fuel lube" and reassemble.

Thanks for the info. Any tricks for getting it open? Not sure how much torque I dare apply to the big hex on the rear of the valve. Tried once, but did not use much torque at all for fear of breaking it and being in a worse place. Would some liquid wrench help? How about torque applied continuously overnight?

Also I'm out of fuel lube and can't find it online. Where do you guys get it?

Bill,
In a five minute search, I couldn't find it either. However, I did find a product called "EZ Turn" that seems to do the same job. AC Spruce has it. Maybe Chief or other online sources.
If you have the valve in your hand, you might try leaving it in your oven at 250 degrees for a couple hours. Clamp it tightly and use a close fitting socket wrench. All should be revealed.......
Dan

Back