14-13 Hydraulic gear conversion

whitebull72

I have a 14-13-2 with electric gear and "Armstrong " backup. I was considering doing a hydraulic conversion. Any assistance with paperwork and part numbers would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to decide is the conversion is worth the effort or if I should just repair the electric system. So part numbers would be a great help so I can put a shopping list together.
Cheers, J.R.

I think you are probably better off sticking with the electric system it has, the parts and paperwork alone to convert to hydraulic would probably be a significant percent of the value of a Crusair. When in good shape, does the electric system work well?

I've never actually flown it. When it was delivered one mag was cow pie. The previous owner said you pretty much had to turn everything else off or it would trip a breaker. Did some investigating, and discovered the generator was cowpie. I may see how it works with a properly operating electrical system. I'm hoping to have her all buttoned up and back in the air in time for Arlington next year.

Most of the parts for a hydraulic conversion are 14-19-2 parts. The pump has come from a variety of planes. I think the club has drawings. I have the hydraulic gear and love it, but if you have the electric set up, it is probably easier and cheaper to fix that. I dont know if the electric motor is strong enough to raise the gear while on stands, but before you scrap it just remember that you would normally have 80-100 mph of wind helping the gear up. Good Luck ____Grant.

I think that doing a thorough inspection and upgrade of worn out electrical system components is probably a good call either way. The generator, and electric gear motor can be rewound or repaired by a competent shop. That will probably be the easiest and cheapest way forward

Several years back I helped Dale Williams convert his Cruisair from hand crank to electric using factory drawings, parts, etc that had come with the airplane but never installed. Since you already have the gear installed most of the headaches won't apply to you; like a second micro switch put on the left gear & the 30 or so retraction/extensions to get the up & down micro switches set!

Yes, the gear take a lot of amps to retract and yes, letting the speed build a bit helps the first half of the retraction some but not a great amount. With the Delco generator of 25, and even 35, amps it was significant. Even with the ambient cockpit noise on take off it's fairly noisy (who cares?) and, my opinion, creates a noticeable "clunk" shutting off on either extension or retraction that always had me wonder about the force the linkage was subjected to. The other down side is that the system adds weight, it's a DC motor about the size of a large fruit can.

Less than a year after completing his restoration he upgraded his aircraft to the Stan Bedford 60 amp alternator so his concerns about the high current draw went away. The Bedford conversion wasn't all that tough and we didn't even have to pull the engine forward.

Dale loved the system and he never had a lick of trouble with it! I collected info and drawings on it but have never felt a necessity to retro-fit one into my Cruisair. Hey, free cardio work out twice a flight!

Blue side up
Scott

Yes, but make sure you fly right seat once in a while to build up your left arm too. I think the plan now, is to do a thorough inspection and do some retactation tests.

Back