14-13 progress

gfhawker

Thought I would give an update of my 14-13 project. This is an airplane I just recently acquired from an extraordinary man that bought it as a wrecked project and did not have the time to complete. Some background:

The airplane was restored a number of years ago by Lil Red in Nebraska and very shortly after, someone who owned it two owners ago had an eventful day that included 3 engine failures, the first two of which resulted in airport landings and the third resulting in an off-airport landing in a field and subsequent collision with a berm. The wings were very lightly damaged, prop broken, lower firewall and boot cowl bent a bit and one engine mount tube bent. It has passed through two sets of hands since the accident with me being the very lucky owner that gets to complete the repairs/restoration and actually fly the airplane.

Thus far I have removed the engine, engine mount for repair, boot cowl for repair and car for overhaul, as the bowl has had auto gas sitting in it for the last 10 years. I am very close to having the boot cowl ready to install but will probably hold off until I know everything behind the panel works as the access without the boot cowl installed is extraordinary.

The next project is the completion of the hydraulic gear system, which was started after the accident. I have all the drawings and most of the parts, so hoping it's not too much of an issue.

I know that I will certainly have more questions than I have already asked but for now all seems pretty self explanatory.

Hope all are well and hope all are enjoying your airplanes.

Cheers.

RT

Back