14-13 tie-down points

alfybill

There are no tie-down points on my Cruisair, so I use the gear legs. They are much closer together than the ramp tie-downs and I don't have much confidence in the situation when I have to stay over at an airport due to weather.

Are there supposed to be tiedown points? Can I have them added? Planning some looong cross country trips this fall.

Bill,
I've got a 14-19 with the same situation. Main gear and tailwheel are the "mooring" locations. 6 -7 feet outboard of the mains, and slightly forward, according to the book. You may want to bring your own ropes. Tom Robinson

Bellanca added tiedown points at some point in the life of the 14-19-3. The manual has the same tie down advice as earlier Cruisemasters, but when I talked to the previous iteration of the factory, they said my tiedown rings were likely from the factory (I have one of the later -3s).

In a hard blow, I think securing the gear is a better idea than the factory tiedown downs. Neither the ring itself nor the attachment to the wing spar looks as strong as, say, a Cessna attach point. That said, with wheel chocks and the tiedowns, the plane doesn’t move much in the ground.

In my experience, even with the attach points in a normal place, if I’m leaving my plane somewhere long enough that I feel the need to tie it down, I bring my own ropes. I’ve had too many times where the airport provided ropes were either rotten or missing.

Back