14-19-2 fuel pump removal?

planebones

N9842B got dropped & prop struck a year and a half ago. I bought it & did a lot of work to it and finally have an engine installed ready to run..........I primed up the fuel system with the wobble pump and my engine driven fuel pump dribbles (not just weeps) fuel out of the case drain. Can I get it off without removing the engine ( just put on) or ? thanks Ken

Ken, remove the generator and it's mounting bracket. You will now have access to the fuel pump. It is a tight fit but can be removed for repair. I did mine Feb 18 and had D&G Supply rebuild it. Not cheap but job well done. No need to move the engine! Lynn the crate

Thanks Lynn>>........after sitting overnight now it won't leak when running the wobble pump which is good. I started the engine, but the pump has no output at all, had to pump fuel with wobble pump to keep it running. What did I screw up?

Sounds like the drive is broken on the fuel pump. It has a shear section right behind the drive somewhat like the nylon shear on a vacuum pump.Unfortunately there is no visual way to tell that unless you pull it. Lynn :(

Well the mystery is solved.....my engine doesn't have the second gear on the camshaft to run the pump........so after $6K of work and etc. I have an engine that will not work on the Bellanca.........thanks for the help....Ken

i had an idea for you today. you know my old wet pump is leaking some oil and needs a rebuild, and i can either spend another amu to fix it or i can buy a dynon d3 and won't need a vacuume pump any more. cheaper, better, a win win situation. that's what i would do if i were you. my gyros are junk anyway.

nevermind, i was thinking of my problem, not yours. you need a gas pump, you don't have to have a vacuume pump any more if you don't want one. :D

That is what I am thinking......removing my vacuum system completely and moving the fuel pump to the wet pump drive which might mean making new hoses, and getting an electronic EFIS display....there are a lot of new ones coming out that are really cool and cheaper than finding a different engine.

Back