14-19-2 on eBay

Rob58

N7672B just popped up for sale on eBay - starting bid $13K and it doesn't appear there is a reserve. The listing has a bunch of pictures and suggests this is not really a restoration project, just needs some TLC after sitting for a number of years. If I didn't already have four triple-tail projects (and one wife) I would put my hat in the ring. Hope it goes to a good home!

seller tried to sell it on Facebook beforehand.

here are some quotes from his post
Facebook wont let me edit but the airframe was DEEMED AIRWORTHY BY INSPECTOR VERBALLY not on paper. I know that doesnt mean much in the aviation world but just wanted to let everyone know!

Damage: Cowling is patched and has some dings. And the lower hinge on the door has caused a little damage to the skin but nothing serious. Spar was inspected and found to have a NON DAMAGING, NON PENETRATING crack like formation on one face that DOES NOT GO THROUGH THE SPAR, DEEMED AIRWORTHY AIRFRAME 11/2018.

Plane was inspected for annual 11/2018 and the ENGINE DID NOT PASS.
The cam is pitted and the engine mounts are dry rotted, the plane is flyable but these would need replaced.

Keeping in mind that plane was sitting for a long time, 1300+ SMOH, camshaft problems and location of the plane, I would think its real price is somewhere between 7 and 9k$

Emotionally, the airplane is worth the opening bid. Realistically, Ivan is correct. Maybe the engine would last another 100 hrs.....maybe not.
An O-470 overhaul costs $15-25K. The interior is shot. How good is the fabric and finish? You could easily sink another $25k in this and be lucky to sell it later for 30k.

Its a pity to observe another bellanca "project" that will never be finished and will die either rotted as owner "has no time for it now" for years or will be parted out.
I'm glad I was lucky enough to get my 14-19-2 just before this slow death-process started and I'm glad I my family gave me an opportunity to spend enough time on it to return it to the air fast, without becoming a hangar queen.

The life cycle of the triple-tail Bellancas follow a sad but predictable pattern. Each major system – fabric, engine, hydraulics, electronics – suffers a decline with age. Many owners defer repairs as far as possible, ultimately recognizing the cost of returning their pride and joy to pristine condition had added up to a big number. Money is needed for other priorities. Competent Bellanca restoration shops are few and far between. Medicals are expiring and now a bit more challenging to renew. Still can’t part with our beloved machine so they sit. Years go by and reality sets in and the airplanes go up for sale. Sometimes a buyer comes along but lacks any real understanding of the task, so the plane sits for a few more years. Sometimes the storage process itself allows nature to seal the fate and there is nothing left to save. Sometimes the owner realizes that the engine is the only thing of real value and the dismembering process begins. Occasionally – but not often – someone like Ivan or Bob Goodman or Planebones comes along with the commitment to give these great machines another chance at life. I hope 72B is lucky enough to be saved – time will tell.

yes, i agree. i would love to buy another one but i won't. 13k for the hulk, 25k for the motor (if you're lucky), 5k for the prop shop (if you're lucky), 10k for avionics. you've already got 53 in it and it will never be worth 40 no matter how much you spend on it.

the problem is a common one. owner fantasy. owners of these airplanes believe they are worth a lot more than they are. this airplane should be "free" to the right purchaser because even at that the new purchaser will have more invested in this airplane that it will be worth.

and the idea that there must be a competent "shop" nearby is a fallacy because the only way you can afford to restore this airplane is to already own a shop yourself and already be a competent airplane mechanic. and also have a massive amount of old airplane junk laying around. and the massive time it takes to do all the nit picking time consuming chores that have to be done to bring it all back to life. these things don't "do" themselves. you'd have to be rich to be able to afford to hire a mechanic to do them all, and there aren't many people that rich who want to own a old airplane.

i have a storch replica in my shed. it was a great stol airplane, flew better than a super cub. the wings are off now, but i picked the motor for the owner so it should be fine. it's for sale. has been for over 15 years. but it's value is declining as the years roll by.

when it was worth 25k, the owner wanted 35. when it was worth 20k, the owner wanted 25. when it was worth 15k, the owner wanted 20. when it was worth 10, the owner wanted 15. now it's not worth anything, except maybe engine core value, and since it's been so long, even that is a shot in the dark. the owner wants 10. ain't gonna happen.

but if the lucky high bidder on ebay lives near me, drop me a note and i will be glad to come over and give you a hand. these airplanes are irreplacable and deserve to be saved.

bobg

Back