14-19-2 powerpack question????

gjordan

I know this has been discussed before, but I could not find any info using the search, so hear goes again. Are there any shops that rebuild the old powerpacks, or does anyone know if there is information out there on line, or in print about the powerpacks? Second question---- would a 14-19 3 powerpack work in a 14-19-2 ??? Any help or advice will be appreciated. I havent seen the plane yet, but have been told that the unit works, but leaks somewhere out of the top. ______Grant.

Take a look at the thread "Hydraulic Help" it references Dick Pifer (http://pifersinc.com/About/about.html). They are they only folks I know of that can repair and overhaul the Bellanca Powerpak. Dick does do a very good job but the descriptors "cantankerous and irascible" may come to mind.

Jack

I believe the 14-19-2 used a 750B, while I know the -3 used a 750N (originally for the Navion). I'm relatively sure they are not interchangeable as far as the FAA is concerned.

Pifer's did what the promised, on time and on budget last year when I overhauled the power pack in the -3. There was a minor heart attack when they gave me the estimate, however. They're not cheap.

One thing I wish I had done was to send the pistons out at the same time (or do them yourself, part numbers can be found in this forum). The hard part is draining the system. Now I have to do that again at some point, which was just wasted time to save a tiny bit of money.

bbarrett said:
The hard part is draining the system.
If all you're doing is overhauling the cylinders, you don't have to drain the entire system. Get some plugs, work fast when you pull a hose and plug it.
Keep lots of paper towels handy (but you'd want to do that anyway). Pre-fill the overhauled cylinders as best you can when you re-install. pump the gear up and down a bunch of times, adjust the level in the upper reservoir and go fly.. cycle the gear... re check the res.. you'll be good to go.
The cylinders are so simple a kid with a junior-high machine shop education could make them from scratch.
Only once have a seen a Bellanca gear actuator cylinder need anything more than a clean/inspect/paint/new O-rings procedure - a -3A that had spent many years idle, some of that time outside. It had rusted shafts. Then again, the rest of the plane was in much worse shape from the abuse so....

Thanks for the info. I am sure the IA will be talking to Pifer. I searched "Hydraulic Help" and came up with 275 posts, so I spent several hours reading last night. I only got half way through them, but lots of good stuff. I hope to see the plane this weekend. From what I understand, a few fixes, and an annual, and the plane will be coming on the market. OH, if only I had money!!! Thanks again._____Grant.

Back