14-19-2 Tailwheel spring

leadsledfan

Does anyone have a spare Cruisemaster or Cruisair tailwheel spring they would be willing to part with?
If not, does anyone have the drawing or specs for the spring so I can have one made?

Thanks!
-Adam

Years ago, I detected a problem with the spring in my Cruisair's tailwheel. No kidding! It was broken in three pieces.
At the time I had a shop in Portland, Oregon make one and it's still good. About 10 years ago I needed another spring for the 14-12-F3, so I had a local shop make 5. These springs are the same as used in the Cruisemasters.
Adam is getting one for my cost that includes shipping...$54.
The free length is 7 1/2," wire dia. 1/4," 1 5/16" OD. I you need one, let me know. If I sell out, I'll have more made, but they will probably be a bit more pricey. You might as well check the condition of the chevron packings and bushings.
Dan

Dan,
You are the second person to mention chevron packings, but my tailwheel doesn't have any?
Where do the packing go in the stack?
-Adam

OK....It's time for the Cruisemaster owners to learn something from the Cruisair.
If you will reference "Plate 117A" in the 14-13 parts manual, you will see all the parts in the shock system for the tailwheel. Maybe someone can contact Robert to see about posting that for all to see. The tailwheel in the 14-19 series is the same as the 14-13 series. The oil/piston system is the same [in miniature] as the 14-13 and 14-13-2 main landing gear....but turned upside down. The packings are at the top instead of the bottom.
So, when you land, you land on the piston plunging through oil...not the spring. Later, with the weight increasing, the tail will rest on the "taxi spring."

So, you can see there's a lot more there than the spring, itself. This is an area of neglect and the piston shaft can become corroded, ripping the packings and not doing it's job. It's primitive, it's factory made but it works.

I made a piston with O-rings on the outside and inside for mine and pressurize it to about 10lbs, I call it a repair and it replaces the v packings.

Dan Schultz,
I think I have something similar. I have a 1.5 inch brass collar with o-rings inside and out that fits over the oleo piston and inside the shaft. No V-packings.
-Adam

Back