14-19-3 Fuel Filtering

Rob58

To my -2 and -3 friends out there. I am installing my new fuel system and have a question about the fuel filtering system. Other than the gascolator are there any other fuel filters buried away in the valves or lines? I don't want to pump dirty fuel into my new pump and fuel controller. Thanks for any feedback! --Rob

Hi Rob, you remove the lower wing fairings and you will see the plumbing coming from the tanks. The tank has a forward and aft outlet that are joined externally by standard aluminum fuel line. Remove the line/pipe from the tank fittings and take a proper size socket and remove the fittings that go into the tank. The screens are about 3 inches long and are part of the fitting that you remove. I have seen missing screens, damaged screens and clogged screens, so it is a good idea to check. In tanks that have sat empty for a long time the screens sometimes get a thin crust over the wire and look almost solid. I dont know if fresh gas would dissolve that or not. The aux tank will be similar but probably harder to access. If your tanks have ever been sloshed with a sealant there could be lots of flakes in the bottom that could clog things. Have fun. Grant.

Rob, in looking at my own plane today I think to get the fuel lines off of the tank will take a crows foot wrench. They sit a little deeper than I remembered. Then a deep socket to get the fitting and strainer out. Just more fun thing to do. Grant.

Thanks again Grant... I will tackle the task well-prepared! Just got through cleaning out the gascolator - that we fairly easy, but I want to look at all of the filters to see what they have been collecting. --Rob

Back