14-19-3 Fuel Selector Valve

Rob58

The fuel selector valve in my new-to-me 14-19-3 has a problem. First of all the label/placard is damaged and not very legible regarding the valve position (see pictures below), so I am not real sure about the positioning of the knob and the owner’s manual is not very helpful. Does the valve have four positions: L, R, Aux, Off? Does anyone have a diagram or good picture of the placard? Next the valve itself is very stiff to turn. Does anyone have any experience servicing the valve? Any help is much appreciated! --Rob

Mine is 4 positions, one per tank (and off). Far right (toward co-pilot) is off. Far left (toward pilot) is aux. I believe it's off-right-left-aux.

Whenever ours gets hard to turn we take off the packing nut pull out the core and grease it with EZ Turn lubricant from Aircraft Spruce.

Just the kind of feedback I was hoping for - thanks to both of you! The EZ Turn Lube is on its way - sounds like a good solution to the valve problem. Any special trick to remove the knob from the end of the shaft?

I think it'll be easier to remove the shaft from the selector (and the the handle / shaft slides out as one unit). At least, that's true on my -3.

This 1966 14-19-3 has the gear lights on the panel. Took these pictures at Columbia 2014.

2lu71ac.jpg

2059xcl.jpg

Frank... thanks for posting the pics. The shot of the fuel selector shows the legend for the "Off" and "Aux" positions very clearly - just what is missing from my ragged old placard. I think I can probably reproduce it with this info. That's a very clear panel also - they improved the panel layout considerably on the straight-tail 260. BTW, really appreciate and enjoy your website. --Rob

Back