14-19-3 gascolator

stinson6

I've been having an issue with the gascolator leaking. Changed out the gasket a while back and it's leaking again. I was looking at the Steve's aircraft gascolator but they are only STC'd for the 14-13's. Talked to the folks over there and learned that the gascolator is part of the airframe type certificate and not the engine.

Do you have the Garwin G199 gascolator as shown in the attached picture (some units came with a glass bowl; some with a metal bowl)? This was the model that came as original equipment on most 14-19-3 aircraft. You mention that you replaced the "gasket" - did you replace both gaskets? There is one on each end of the bowl. When you replaced the gaskets did you use the cork or rubber parts? When I replaced the gaskets recently in my -3 gascolator I had to spend a fair amount of time cleaning the seat as the old gasket left residue in this area that seems like it might create an ongoing leak. The gascolator is a simple part, but a very important component and you don't want any air leaks into this part of the fuel system. By the way, what is the serial number of your plane? --Rob

No it’s not that Make of gascolator. Anyway, the short of it is... the A/P talked me off the ledge and met me at the hangar. We took it off the aircraft and cleaned everything up. The gasket up top had an almost undetectable split on the outer edge. A quick trip to get a sheet of cork and he fabricated a new gasket; no leaks. Rob, it’s serial number 4114.

Back