14-19-3 Questions

Trot

I'm on night shift at the plant for the next few days so I figured I'll throw some questions about my "new" cruisemaster 260 out there while things are slow. My neighbor (IA) and I just did the annual on it last weekend but I have not gotten to fly it yet and I'd like a few things clarified before I do.

The fuel pump switch has 2 positions, start and emergency. This leads me to believe you do not use it for takeoff or landing, which is different from most low wing aircraft I fly. Is that the case? I have ordered the 260 manuals from the club but I'm sure it will take a few days to arrive. The POH did not specify in the procedures section about this.

Skimming through the manuals and docs that came with the aircraft (which are still with the plane in TX, I currently reside in MS) it says as far as gear extention to hold down until 3 green lights, back to neutral, then hold down again for 3 potatoes to insure the nosewheel has positive hydraulic pressure since it's the last one to extend. Do other -3 drivers do that or something similar?

Those are really the main ones I have right now, if I think of anything else I'll be sure to post them!

I don't use the fuel pump on takeoff but it's not a bad idea (just in case the engine pump quits) - as long as you remember to turn it off once you're at safe altitude.

The gear handle should stay in the down (or up position) until the pressure raises enough to kick it back into neutral. Did you test it when you did the annual? (hope so or your neighbor needs a little schooling). Assuming it works the way it should, there's not a lot of benefit in repeating the procedure since, the pressure must be adequate to for the handle to pop back. I'll confess to doing it again on base, if I extended the gear early (like for use as a drag brake to come down from altitude). If the gear-down switches are adjusted correctly, the green light comes on after the brace goes over-center. Moving the gear handle down to do it again wont make it any greener but, as we said in the 60s, "If it feels good, do it" :D

My nose gear (Factory stock and recently overhauled) makes it down to lock first - before overhaul it was last. Maybe after I overhaul the mains that will change again. Ken did some major alterations to your nose gear in an effort to improve it's steering. If that alteration is still in place, all bets are off - you're in new territory. We chatted quite a bit while he was going through that. Mine steers like a go-kart on the ground, it's pure pleasure on landing.

Service Letter #9 recommended the hold down and then push down again procedure. Service Letter #9-1 then said that the procedure outlined in the AFM (push down once, look for 3 green) is all that's necessary, as long as the hydraulic power pak is properly calibrated. My procedure is the same as SoCalPlaneDoc's; gear lever down, let it pop back to neutral, verify three green. If it's a long approach with the gear down, I'll do it again, just to make sure (although it's always immediately popped back to neutral).

I do not use the aux fuel pump during takeoff, as it's not called for by either the Bellanca or Continental manual. Playing with the fuel pump in flight, it does seem to have an impact on metered fuel pressure, so it just wasn't worth figuring out (up until recently, I was based at 6500' and leaning properly for takeoff was critical).

I assume you ordered the Owners Manual and Service Manual. The service manual is bordering on worthless, but has a couple of useful nuggets (a statement about Downer, not the club). If you don't have a copy, the Service Letters pack the club sells is well worth it. I've also found the early viking parts manual (which includes the 14-19-3A) to be useful. It's B-161 in the club's catalog. There's enough similarity between the -3 and -3A to figure out what should be going on. Finally, while not required by the AFM, I ordered a copy of the IO-470 series Engine Operator's Manual from Continental, which has their recommended starting / operating procedures and has been useful.

bbarrett said:
My procedure is the same as SoCalPlaneDoc's; gear lever down, let it pop back to neutral, verify three green. If it's a long approach with the gear down, I'll do it again, just to make sure (although it's always immediately popped back to neutral).
<HI-5>

Back