14-19-3 tip plates

johnlbtap

Hey Guys-
I need some info before my customer brings me his plane. Seems he dragged a tip plate during stiff crosswind landing. I bet it will be easier for me to repair it if I remove the plate from the horizontal stabilizer. What holds the tip plate on? I expect I have to cut some fabric, and I remember a streamlined plate with four screws, same shape as the horizontal stab. Is that all that holds it on or does this plate hide something else beneath? Once I get it apart it will seem like stupid questions, but I need an idea before I get started. Thanks! John

There's just four 1/4" bolts that go through to the tip of the stab - I'm assuming to flange nuts. Should be a fairly easy repair as long as nothing broke or cracked inside the stab.

must have been one heck of a crossed-up landing to hit the ear but not damage the landing gear....

Sorry, Guys!
I realize that I never responded to my post. And thanks for the advice! I never heard from the owner again. I guess he tried to fix it himself, or I visualize another beautiful Cruisemaster forgotten, pushed into the corner somewhere collecting dust.
John

The plates or elephant ears are held on by four bolts threaded into nut plates. Very easy to remove and reinstall. No fabric cutting. You can splice in what was worn off with Spruce then West Epoxy finish and paint. I can see this happening on a -2 but -3 tricycle gear WOW. Lynn the crate :eek:

Crazy question. Is it possible that 14-19-2 end plates are installed on your -3? I had my -2 next to a -3 and noticed that the stab is the same but the long axis of the -3 end plate is parallel with the ground where -2 is perpendicular. When I asked why Bellanca rotated the end plate 90 degrees, I was told that it was because the original configuration had a tendency to drag the ground in the tricycle gear setup.

Back