14-19-3

dwjeepilot

How many 14-19-3 pilots out there??? The tailwheel guys reject us. The Viking guys reject us !!! WE DON"T EXIST !!! We are an interim model. How many out there will answer to this and maybe start something NEW ? We have Waaaay more speed than the 14-19-2 models and we're not too far behind the Viking. Let's get together ! What do-ya think ?

I'm a former -2 pilot about to become a -3 owner.
I have no prejudices, if the -2 guys wanna watch my tail as I pull away, it's fine with me :)

Mine is a 14-19-3a. You have to tell people it is not a viking. At #2000 empty and 260hp I have no complaints.

I've flown in Bumper's 14-19-3A.
It climbed at 2200 FPM @ 120 MPH with 2 of us and full fuel. :!:
I don't think it's slower than ealy Vikings in any practical way.
It is faster than my 14-19-2 by about 10 MPH @ 23 Sq. and has 99 pounds more payload.
The 14-19-2 does stall at a slower speed because it's lighter. Also, my front seats are more comfortable :wink:
His back seats are better tho-

No one is ignoring you; all Bellancas are great ;-) We have between three and six -3s at the West Coast Fly-In every year!

Ok, let' see how many splinter groups can we have? I think 14-9 vs. 14-12F3 or 14-13 vs 14-13-2? Come on guys, get a grip...united we will stand, divide and we're just a bunch of nobodies at the aerodrome................

Dan, No one is trying to splinter off from the group ! The reason I used the term "rejected" is because the 14-19-3's are never mentioned in the group forum on any issue that I have noticed. I'm probably wrong on that but it must be seldom. I fly the 14-19-3 1960 model that has many different systems like the all hydraulic landing gear and flap system. I do have the cruisemaster fuselage and tail but my landing gear isn't the same as either the cruisemaster or the viking. I'm sure the 260 14-193A pilots have as many differences with thier planes compared to the cruisemaster and viking planes as I do. The reason I asked " How many 14-19-3 pilots are out there" is I was hoping to get enough together with hopes of adding a 14-19-3 section in the forum. We have to go thru both the Cruisemaster and the viking forum to search for items close to our problems. There are 123 registered 14-19-3 models out there of which 42 are triple tails. We all have different problems from those encountered by the cruisemaster/viking guys. I didn't really want to start a revolution, just asking for some recognition. Thanks to those that responded . Duane

I always figured that no one posts questions about the 14-19-3 because they just work :). Two of us have a 1960 14-19-3 we keep flying in central New Mexico. Only real complaints are expensive fuel and too much wind.

There are several of us in the club and in the antique airplane movement that operate "one only" aircraft. It is our duty and obligation to learn about the operation and maintenance of these airplanes, because no one else will be of much help. This philosophy applies to limited production/vintage aircraft, as well. Almost all Bellancas are considered vintage or classic by recent definition.
We cannot turn our aircraft over to the nearest maintenance facility as you will likely be turned away due to the lack of knowledge, skills,maintenance manuals and tooling.......if you are lucky. If you are not so lucky, you may end up with an aircraft in worse shape, wrenched on by incompetents.
Collect every manual about the airframe/engine you can. Some do not exist. Collect and USE specialty tools. Common sense and communication must prevail. If you are
not willing to get greasy and do some "coolie" work, this is not the hobby for you.
Being a member of this club is a start on responsible ownership and operation of your airplane. It is not an end-all, but the forum offers a place to exchange ideas and information that may not be commonly available on the outside. The last time I looked, there are some 30+ pages available for viewing........most of it is good.
I started in Bellancas in 1970, maybe before some members were born. Most of whatever knowledge I've acquired has been through my own self study, knowledgable "old timers" and some hard work. I hope a few of you carry on with the same energy that I had.
This letter is not directed towards anyone........
It is my philosophy on the care and maintenance of our aircraft.
Keep up the good work.
Dan

Dwjee,
The 14-19-3 certainly is an "in-between" model, but it's production run was higher than many other Bellanca models... more than the 14-19 and 14-19-2, combined.
I am not an expert in the -3, however, the airframe, less the gear is virtually the same as the -2. Bellanca did not produce a maintenance manual for the -2 and the flight manual is a joke compared to modern manuals. Bellanca did produce a decent, illustrated parts manual for the -3A/B/C models and some of the parts can be compared to the -3.
The Continental engine and propellers are current production, relatively speaking. Many of these manuals are available as originals or copies. Ask Robert to see what he has, first.
Keep your eyes open and ears tuned. You don't have it that hard...I've had to scratch build from old pieces, photographs and sketches.
Keep me posted. Dan

As a 1960 14-19-3 owner, I would like to say thanks to all of the people have responed to threads I have posted on this forum!! Having been in the aircraft restoration business for 25 years or so it does amaze me that for a "fairly" modern aircraft that there is no dedicated maintence manual!! I mainly use the 3a manual and did most of my posting on the "viking" board as it is vaguely closer to that plane. I is a fairly easy plane to maintain however it could be quite expensive if you have to hire it out. I very STRONGLY agree with Mr.Cullman's comment about not letting Mr. Average sheetmetal mechanic work on your wood and fabric treasure. See you all in Columbia !!! No longer "Very Squirley on Landing".... aka Ken :D :D 8)

dwjeepilot said:
How many 14-19-3 pilots out there??? The tailwheel guys reject us. The Viking guys reject us !!! WE DON"T EXIST !!! We are an interim model. How many out there will answer to this and maybe start something NEW ? We have Waaaay more speed than the 14-19-2 models and we're not too far behind the Viking. Let's get together ! What do-ya think ?

I sure don't see the "260 Viking" being rejected buy the "300 Viking" people. 260's come to our fly-ins and park with us at Columbia.

Back