14-19-3A landing gear struts

joen6171b

Looks like the landing gear struts need to be serviced on my 1966 14-19-3A. The shock absorbing qualites of the strut are no longer there on the nose and the right main gear. seems like they are just sitting on the spring. I printed off the parts manual and the service manual for the 17-30, but my airplane may be different.

Seems like the landing gear may be different from my airplane to the viking. I dont know if my airplane has a Schrader valve to put oil and air in.

on the 14-19-3A, How do I service the strut with oil and or air? Is it worth while to take them apart while the airplane is on jacks and put new O rings in the struts.

Is there a dedicated parts and service manual for the 14-19-3's? Any help would be appreciated. This is my first annual and I'm doing it early to take care of this kind of stuff.

Joe

I recall your strut being similar to a 14-19-2. There is no air pressure. A piston with a small hole in it settles into the hydraulic fluid at the bottom of the lower strut until contacting the spring located at the top of the strut. Then you just ride on the spring. The springs get tire and occassionally need replacing. They should be available from Bellanca. Here's an a rough drawing of strut construction http://www.russellw.com/planes/cruisemaster/maint_gear_springs.htm

Glenn is right the strut is the same as the -2. I sugguest a call to Robert at the BCC and order the manuals. The strut is easy to service and replace the springs ie: same as the -2. Lynn wings in progress :mrgreen:

Thanks guy's I'm going to pick up the manuals from them up @ sun'n'fun. I'm going to take them apart to check the spring.

So....

If I'd just open my Bellanca 260 A,B and C owners manual, it gives step by step instructions

Raise the landing gear half way, remove one bolt from the nutcracker, and slide the bottom oleo out of the top section. Install a new AN 6227-25 O ring. Emty lower leg or oleo completely. Add 5606A hydrolic fluid in lower leg of main gear to a depth of 6.25 inch, and in lower leg of nose gear to a depth of 4 3/8inch. Replace the bottom oleo without disturbing the packing grease between the bushings in the top oleo. Work the strut up and down several times to remove trapped air. apply grease at all fittings. Lubricate the other joints with light machine oil.

I got some work to do this week....

Back