14-19 Flap indicator cable

ronaldjhansen

Hello all, When I retract my flaps the cable does not slide back into the housing, I have been advised that the cable should be lubricated, I will lubricate it.
My question is does this look right or wrong to anyone? It seems like every time the flaps are retracted the the cable will need to bend around instead of having enough straight line travel to fully slide back into the housing? Maybe the small piece of metal that the cable end is attached to is supposed to swivel to allow additional play? If anyone has pics or drawings of how this is supposed to look, I would greatly appreciate them. I will most likely just disconnect the cable to keep it from curling up every time I retract the flaps.

Flaps Retracted

Flaps Extended
View attachment 1

Thanks for any input.

Ron,

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know, and your picture will cause me to look at my 14-19-2 to see what's up.
So although I can't help you right now, you've cetainly helped me.
The funny thing is: I never look at the dang thing. I always look out onto the wing to see how much flap I've deployed. :roll:

Hi Ronald, I don't see any way that your set up will work!! I haven't worked on a -2 but own a -3 and they look like they should be the same...So no warrenty!!! Looks like either your spiral housing has been allowed to slip toward the actuator or was to long to begin with. The lower bolt holding the small tab should be tight (so the small aluminum tab is upright making it perpendicular to the actator shaft) and the one holding the cable should swivel with the cable.Loosen the clamp that is attached to the flange (green piece) and slide cable housing away from the actuator leaviing about 2" of exposed wire when the flaps are retracted making it basically a straight line when there is fore/aft actuator movement. be sure that when the clamp is retighted it is snug enough that the spirial housing is held tightly. Also see if you can remove any of the small kinks in the inner cable...Cheers Ken :D

Scott, I agree about not looking at the indicator, but when it didn't show the flaps had been retracted I became curious as to why.
Thanks Ken, that is the guidance I was looking for. I will try those adjustments. :D

Back