14-9 on Tokio Marine salvage site

planebones

If anyone is looking for a project there is a 14-9 on the Tokio Marine aircraft salvage auction site in Hazard KY that ends in a few days. It was in a hangar fire. I hope it finds someone to restore it. Ken

Seen that ad on the web.

Looks like right wing burned down badly. Not a winter project from my point view.

Thanks, What a neat looking aircraft, one is hanging at the airport in South Carolina, see it every year when we fly out to the south. I was told those are the same wings as the later planes but no flaps? I bet the radial engine sounds great! I drool every time the Stearman fires up at the local airport and the smell of the avgas!

Oof. Maybe Dan can chime in, but that seems like it would actually be harder to restore than something just sitting for 70 years, given all the internal plastic pieces that would be melted away, and it would need a new wing at a minimum.
-Adam

I wonder if it was covered in Stits or some other less burnable fabric system? I would think dope would have almost exploded in that kind of heat. I hope someone takes on the restoration but it is going to take deep pockets and a lot of time. ____Grant.

I've known this airplane for the past 25 years, or so...and the previous three owners.
The airplane is completely restorable and had considerable work done on it the past few years.
I believe the right wing is a modified 14-13 wing[into 14-9 configuration]. The covering was Stits.
There isn't much plastic in these airplanes, other than the windows.
It will have to come down to all the basics for restoration.
I am not a bidder. It is 2000 miles away and I have four more of these as projects.
Good luck.
Dan

did anyone find out who bought it? i was real interested but don't need another project right now. it was close enough to consider. i hope somebody brings it back, i would hate to see it scrapped. even if it wasn't in good enough shape to make airworthy, it is a rare enough plane to restore just for display. i wouldn't even want to think about making the motor and prop airworthy. thousands and thousands of dollars. a real classic, though.

I have found that the airplane went to Jim Hammond, a collector from Indiana. He is keeping the engine for his projects and the airframe is being donated to a Bellanca museum in New Castle, DE.

Adam, A decent rebuildable LeBlond or Ken Royce is worth 5k any day. You can sink that much or more in time, parts and labor. This engine had only 45 hours on a quality overhaul. There was also a new MT prop that went with the project.
Dan

Back