150 vs 165 cylinders ?????

gjordan

I was organizing some engine parts recently, and was trying to tell the difference between 150 and 165 cylinders. I know the obvious ( 2 retainer pins on the 150, and only one on the 165), but I found single pin cylinders with the larger exhaust guide which indicates 150 valves. My real question is on the 165 cylinders being SHOT PEENED around the base. I am looking at a dozen single pin cylinders, and some seem a little rougher around the base, and some seem smooth, but that just looks like a nicer paint job. Should the difference be really obvious, or is it hard to tell? Any advice will be appreciated. _____Grant.

Hey Guys, I will simplify the question! Is the difference between a Shot-peened cylinder base, and one that is not, easy to tell visually????? _____Grant.

Usually you can see the difference. Maybe the differences you see in the single pin cylinders are determined by the person doing the shot peening and the equipment. Just assume that single pin
cylinders have had the treatment.
Dan

Dan, for my own use I would assume that, but the reason I asked is that several years ago I sold a set of cylinders to an overhauler and he said that 3 of them were 150s because they werent shot -peened. He was not happy (nor was I) and I want to be sure that I can tell from now on. There is always something to learn about Franklins. Thanks, _____Grant.

Grant, do you have access to a Rockwell tester? I don't know what hardness they are suppose to be. I wonder if Susan has that info? We have a Rockwell Tester at school that I may be able to use off hours.

Larry, I dont think I have access to a Rockwell tester, but maybe the local machine shop has. The re-builder that I sold cylinders to said that he could see that they were not shot peened, so I assumed it was easily determined, but I cant tell on the dozen 165 cylinders that I have. I sold some other parts to this guy, and didnt get paid, so I wont deal with him again. Live and learn. ______Grant.

Larry, I just had a thought (dangerous thing to have), you have some cylinders for a 165. Can you see any difference between your 150 cylinders and your 165s ? ______Grant.

They pretty much look like they were shot peened, though we (Terry and I) do have some questions on a couple of them. Think we need to talk to Susan Prall .

Grant,
Did you request that the unacceptable cylinders be returned for credit and paid for the ones kept? If so and you didn't get them or money back I'd let everyone know who this person is. This does not need to happen.
Dan

Grant, speaking of not paying... I have a check here in the stamped envelope ... payment for parts you sent me twoyears ago ! ( blimp crash) . Only place I have your address is on the box of parts.. which is in my hanger.
I cannot drive for a month.. so if you will shoot my your mailing address, the check will positively go in the mail.
Just enough to cover your fees for West Coast Fly-In. I know all the triple tail people hope you will attend.

I was going to offer to fly or drive you up... but I can't do either with a "bread box" strapped to my foot
( ankle brace). So NFG this year. Sorry for prolonged flakiness.

:oops:

Back