150HP 14-13 oil change and spark plug questions...

kitepilot

Hello there, first oil change, and questions are:
What torque to tight the oil filter at?
What torque to tight the spark plugs at?
What gap to set the spark plugs at?
Do I have to take out the whole bottom cowling or at this day an age is it aircraft dependant?
Thanks!

You really do need to get both the engine manual and the airframe manual. The club has them.
Plugs are torqued 180-240 INCH POUNDS...much less than the 18mm plugs
Oil filter torque is marked on the filter...that was one of the gottcha's in A&P school. The instructor would come up to us and ask that question...and for those who didn't look, spent the next hour trying to find the answer! It was right there on the filter!
Plug gap depends on the type of plugs you are using.
Removing bottom cowl is as you say - depends on the plane.

Have fun, and be careful with the plugs, you don't want to back out a helicoil.
Larry

You really do need to get both the engine manual and the airframe manual. The club has them.

YES, I should!
I remember that I went looking for them and didn't find them (don't ask me, month ago)
How do I get them?
Who do I have to kill? :)
Thanka!

Geez, Dan:

We have these in our Publication Catalog; https://bellanca-championclub.com/PubOrderLW.html. Keep supporting the Club. This is what pays for our functioning, including this Forum.

Thanks,

Robert,
Look at it this way.........Larry already mentioned the club as a source of manuals. I have supported the club in many ways, including the purchase of manuals from the club. I point out that there are other sources as well. Don't feel offended.
The point is that we have owners and members (maybe both at the same time)....and mantenance personnel attempting to operate aircraft without sufficient knowledge. I cringe.............
Dan

It really pays to know the part numbers and values of consumable items for these airplanes. For example, several in past posts complained about the cost of 14mm spark plugs for the Franklin. Yes, I think the list price for REJ-38 plugs is close to $40. Larry L. and I both spied comparable BG 707SR plugs on Ebay and we got a lifetime supply for about $2/plug...new. There are several good replacement plugs, by several manufacturers that are approved for Franklin engines. Larry pointed out earlier that VW Beetle exhaust gaskets are a perfect duplicate for the 150/165.....and pre-war engines. The price is right.
The little KP10/10A bearings that support the retract shaft, through the rear spar list for $30+. I have enough for all my future projects that I bought for $4-5. I bought several sets of Timken bearings and races, for the Scott tailwheel, new in government packaging for about 20% of list.
The list goes on.
You can save a lot of $$$, have a lot of fun, if you do a little homework.
Dan

Back