165 Approved for 8.5 pistons?

gjordan

I saw an add a few weeks ago for a Stinson that said it had approved 8.5 pistons in the 165. Being the curious type, I pulled the CD on the airplane and sure enough there is a 337 saying found 8.5 pistons during work and reinstalled same. Removed autogas stc. Otherwise I dont think there was any other change. I wonder if that is now approved data for a 165? I would think they would make plug leading much less of a problem and probably give you better fuel economy. Grant.

Maybe Grant depending on the date of the 337.

According to Figure 2-1. in AC 43-210A, towards the bottom of Pg 5:

"Possible Resources for Approved Data Relevant to Major Repairs or Major Alteration"

United States Department of Commerce, Form ACA-337 dated prior to October 1, 1955, provided the data is appropriate, directly applicable, and not contrary to regulatory requirements.

I will have to go look at the CD again, but I think it was recent. Maybe it was just filed without an FAA signature? Another thing that I thought of is that they may be the helicopter part number but turned down to 7 to 1 which is legal but it should have been recorded. They may not have measured them. He sure bragged in the add about having 180 HP from a 165. Interesting???? Grant.

Back