165 Franklin exhaust

kgassert

I am not getting much cabin heat. In fact it is warmer with it off then on. I looked in the parts catalog and it appears that I don't have the standard exhaust and heat muff setup. I have straight 3 into one pipes with muffs but the parts book shows what looks like round mufflers with bigger heat muffs then I have. What do the rest of you guys have on your Crusair with 165 Franklin? I just had these stacks overhauled with new flanges and would be OK with them except for the lack of cabin heat.

Kevin

Alain,

That would be great. Here is my email in case you don't still have it.

kgassert@fuse.net

Thanks,
Kevin

Still had your e-mail. Thanks,
Is it ok if I take the pics in the week-end? It's dark when I leave to work and when I come back as well!!!

A.

No problem. Take your time. Its about time to start the annual and make those wing root fairings.

Kevin

Well, three years later and I am still cold. In the summer I forget about it but now it is fall again and Saturday I put three cold hours in. I did replace the spring that is wound around inside the heat muff and it it help a little. At least I didn't see my breath Saturday. Maybe I will send the stack in and have some studs welded on or if anyone has a set of original stacks and heat muffs they want to sell let me know. Are you guys with original stacks getting enough heat from them?

Kevin

I have the original heat shrouds on a Franklin 165 (originally for a 150hp). I get lots of heat when it is hooked up and the distribution valve forward of the firewall is open. I have disconnected the rear cabin heat duct and closed off the through firewall duct. I only use the forward cabin heat that comes through the right side of the firewall and I disconnect the supply duct during the warm seasons as I am further south than you and the little bit of heat leak is not comfortable then. When it is cold it supplies alot of warmth.

Dan, that is correct. My exhaust stacks are custom straight three into one pipes on each side with pretty pitiful heat muffs. I would be interested in the stock set up if someone has one for sale or I will need to do some more modifications to this one to get more heat.

Kevin

If the risers are longer, it would be easy to change.

BTW I used the perforated tubes for a Stinson in my Bellanca muffs. They silde right in and are locked by the pin on the tail piece clamp.

Back