1929 Bellanca for sale.

gjordan

I look at facebook on the ANTIQUE AIRCRAFT PARTS EXCHANGE and just saw a 1929 Mutual Blackbird 2POLB for sale. It says it was designed by Giuseppe Bellanca . I think the N# is X87M. I bet Dans ears are perking up. Grant.

Unless GM or August were around to confirm or refute this claim, I'm thinking Bellanca had nothing to do with this airplane.

I ran across a phone number for the San Diego Air and Space museum today and remembered this Mutual Blackbird, so I called and talked to their curator. He was helpful , but said they didnt have any paperwork to say that Giuseppe Bellanca designed it, but that wikipedia (sp?) showed it as a Bellanca design. Not having much trust in wikipedia, I went there and went to a bunch of links and found mention of some papers from the owner of the Mutual company. In one place it referred to Giuseppe Bellanca and in another place it mentioned Frank Bellanca. This may well be a Bellanca design, just not our Mr Bellanca. Did Giuseppe have a brother? Just some interesting trivia. ____Grant.

Back