1969 GCBC Uneven fuel burn

tdicke

I recently purchased a 1969 Citabria GCBC. I have only flown it for a couple hours. The Right tank does not seem to feed even with the left tank. For example, the last time I flew for an hour and the left tank took 5 gallons and the right tank took 2 gallons. Do I have a potential problem?

This has been discussed at length on the forum in the past.

This is probably a fuel cap not sealing. The simplest 1st step is to swap the fuel caps to see if that changes which tank feeds.

If it changes which tank feeds, put new gaskets in the caps or order new caps from ACA. New gaskets fixed the problem for me.

If it is not a fuel cap air leak, the next step is to make sure that the vent system is not clogged.

It most probably is the fuel caps.

Try ACA---800 223 9381.

Also, as mentioned above, try swapping caps.

My 7ECA does this from time to time--- maybe I am flying slightly wing low on one side.

Bill

Additionally, if your plane sits on a side hill (one wing lower), the fuel will migrate to the low wing.

GREG B

I swapped fuel caps and flew straight and level for 1.5 hours, nine gallons in the left tank ad 1.8 in the rght tank. Same results. Looking at the POH schematic i don't see where it vents overboard. I'm guessin the once way check valve may be stuck? I'll turn it over to an A&P to repair. If I fly it from OKC to PHX lik this I'll have to stop every couple hundre miles for fuel!

I removed the fuel cap from the right tank and blew back thru the vent tube and fuel come gushing out the fill neck. I put the cap back on and flew a two hour cross country and put 7.6 in the left tank and 11.6 in the right tank. I then flew a 1.3 hour leg cross country and put.3.8 in the left tank and 5.79 in the right tank. I reckon it's working now. The right seems to be burning a littl more than the left but over all I am satisfied with the results. Except for the fact it is bburing around ten gallons an hour in cruise, Not sure wat's up with that. 5500 feet, 2300 rpm leaned till rough then pushed it back in slightly. CHT runs around 325. Cruised about 115 MPH. Engine has 1700 hours SMOH. Very comfortable airplane. Minor problme adjusting the rudder tab to keep the ball straight in cruise. I seem to be chasing that now. LOL Always something.

The actual RPM might be higher than what your indicating meaning your power setting is higher % rated horse power than you think. This would cause greater than expected fuel consumption.

Back