470 Exhaust Collector

Ralph925

Dawley Aviation just called and my right exhaust collector is too far gone for them to fix. Now I am stuck. :shock: Does anyone have an exhaust for the 470k on a 14-19-2?

Ralph, you might try this company... they show the collector for the 14-19-2 exhaust as a catalog item:
http://www.acornwelding.com/pdf/Bellanca/Bellanca%2014-19-2%20and%2014-12-3.pdf

Aerospace Welding Minneapolis is going to take a look at the old pipes to see if they can help.
Acorn is working up a quote to make a new part. They have warned me that it will be slow and expensive.

There are many more planes than Bellancas that use 0-470s. Do any of them use the same basic exhaust? The companies that are going to make money off of you are not likely to tell you what other muffler would work. Bellanca tended to use off the shelf parts for many things and the mufflers may be that way. It might be worth asking around. Just a thought. _____Grant.

I have asked Aerospace Welding Minneapolis to make up a new collector out of pipe for the Cruisemaster. Acorn has an original type collector in their catalog but does not actually make one. We should have the new exhaust shortly and I will be back to moving about the country (on the few days there is not ice and freezing rain everywhere).

$1835 gets you the collector, 3 stacks, a muffler, and clamps. The tail pipe was ok having been replaced after a former owner forgot something important for landing.

Thanks for the info Ralph. Glad to know you will be back in business soon! If you have time it would be great to see what the newly fabricated assembly looks like - any pictures would be appreciated.

At long last the avionics shop has released its grip on my Cruisemaster.
Here is a photo of the new pipes.

Exhaust system looks solid and clean. So what all did the avionics shop do for you? Was it just the installation of the engine monitor or did you get a nice glass panel setup?

I have been using the Cruisemaster for business travel and was canceling trips because I could not get into airports with GPS only approaches with my old single VOR/ILS setup. I have added IFR GPS capability and ADS-B in/out. I have installed a Garmin GNS 650 GPS, GTX 345 ADS-B transponder, a PS Engineering Audio Selector/Intercom, and a CGR Engine Monitor. The transponder sends traffic and weather to my Ipad. The GPS and the engine monitor share fuel flow and location information to provide range/reserve fuel information.
It is not a glass panel but it should help make the “go” decision even when the weather is not perfect.

Ralph, that's a very nice upgrade to your panel! Very much along the lines of what I am saving up for on my -3 panel. Will you be coming to OSH this year?

Yes, I hope to.
If I can get the time free I will camp 2 nights with the Bellanca.

I spent the evening with the installer this evening working out the last few bugs. The system is almost finished.

Back