7ECA / O-200 no idle cut-off

Erikz

My father took my 7eca for a flight yesterday and after landing he noticed the engine was running rough, although it ran fine at high power settings and in cruise. When he tried to shut it down he selected idle cut-off and the engine kept running and he said he could smell fuel. When I looked at it I noticed the primer was not fully in and locked. My question is if the primer is slightly out could it cause these symptoms. The carb was out for repair about 15hrs ago and up until now has been working fine. After shut down there was no fuel leaking anywhere.

Hi Erikz, yes indeed the primer being unlocked or out just a bit will do that, it can even cause the engine to not stop with mixture cut off if its in & locked but leaking when they get old and worn they can leak internally.

I would like to run it again but now I have a new problem. My starter clutch on the pull cable starter let go. Now I either have to get another clutch or contemplate going to a Sky Tec starter.

Hi Erikz, I went to the Sky-Tech starter a couple of years ago one of the best moves I've made they really spin the engine about 6 lbs lighter and the they work great.

GB when you went to the Sky-Tec how did you eliminate the stub shaft in the accessory gearbox? Did you do it with the engine still in the plane? I could also get a new clutch from Canadian Aero Manufacturing but on the other hand I do like the idea of a better starter especially in winter. HMMM.

Hi Erikz, My engine was set up for the prestolite key starter so all I had to do was bolt the Sky-Tec on. There are posts of guys doing it on the plane using a dremel tool, others have used a die grinder and a small cut off wheel. Have you checked the B&C starter can't remember if thay have a model that installs with the stud in place or not. Here's a link to the B&C web site:
http://www.bandcspecialty.com/ Just checked their installation instruction and you have to cut off the stud for their starter also. Heres Sky-Tecs link http://www.skytecair.com/.

Back