7GCBC electrical system

BRichardson

Inregards to the 7GCBC 1975 with 150hp Lyc A2B

Does anyone have information on what airframe part contains the relay that switches the alternator output from maintaining external circuits (i.e. running lights/strobes) back to charging the battery???

I have to cycle my master switch on/off/on to start the battery charging.

I checked the alternator (ripple voltage, etc) and it was questionable. Just replaced the alternator. Battery is one year old - lugs are tight. The battery is still not reliably charging unless I cycle the master switch.

Any idea on what or where that relay is??? Comments on setting the voltage regulator??

Thanks

Bill Richardson
Dillingham, AK
akawer@nushtel.com

Bill:
You might want to check the ACA site and get the electrical system upgrade if your airplane doesn't have it. Comes with 60 amp cb and other bits for safety.
Ray

This just happen to my 78 7GCBC . I changed the voltage regulator it did not help. Change the over voltage regulator and now it works fine. It has been working for the last 15 hours.It also talks abot this in the owners manual.

Get the Zeftronics controller (R15VOL or R15VON) which replaces both the voltage regulator and the over-voltage relay (small black box on firewall.) They will provide good tech help. Still should do the electrical upgrade (SB 418A) to protect system.

After all of this, prior electrical events may have taken out a gauge, which will continue to interfere with the system. Look for erratic behavior. Mine was the Oil Temperature Gauge.

Regards,

I did everything on my 79 GCBC when I had the same problem After new alternator, battery cables, etc tech support at Zeftronics helped me trouble shoot and suggested I repalce the master switch. It was 16 bucks from American Champ. Problem solved.

Back