7gcbc mods

shouldhunt

Just wondering what mod's people have on their 7 GCBC's. I've seen some I dont have and they are:
1. A X brace like in the top of the fuselage like a cub
2. Removal of the aluminum gap seals on bottom of wings in front of ailerons(not to sure about this one).
3. Carl Bohns, Super cub style landing gear (they wont approve any more until he gets it STCed)
4. Larger rudder (really considering it)
5. Light weight interior panels (really considering it)
6. Baggage door (will install when I have to recover)
7. K & N air filter (probably get in April during Annual)

This Ones that I have:
1. Light weight motorcycle style battery on fire wall
2. Light weight starter and alternator
3. Wide deck, 160 horse/125 SMOH, rebuilt April 09, (motor mount and valve covers painted to match blue landing gear)
4. 29" tires
5. 80 inch prop
6. Vg's
7. Scout Landing gear(With major fuselage strengthening, FAA approved 2009)
8. Double puck brakes
9. Milman spars
10. Gar Aero tail wheel
11. Lexan seaplane door
12. Custom winter fronts
13. Custom dash mod to install air gizmo for my garmin 495 and extra 12 volt source for my ipod

Plan on installing metal bottom for repair, maintenance and inspection during my annual in April.

Currently in process of building stronger rear seat with removable back.

Was wondering if ever heard of putting scout tips on 7GCBC wings? Any other ideas, please let me know.

Terry

Really sounds good. Who has the STC for the motorcycle battery on the firewall. I'd sure like to get mine out of the baggage compartment and shorten that wiring run.
Ray

Well my 7gcbc is a pig at a little over 1300 pounds. I could lose alot of weight if I could afford to recover it, since it has a couple coats of paint, also hope to get some bush wheels instead of my heavy Gar aero's, but like everything else it cost money. Next time I will recover it with the superflight system. It is heavy but truely performs, on a 60 degree day with no wind, I can get off in about 180 feet. The battery on my firewall is a common mod here in Alaska and is done on a 337. There is a guy on SuperCub.org that has been getting a light weight ford alternator(6.1 pounds/40 amp) approved on cubs that only cost like 100$(i'm trying to get a copy of that 337).

When I was at the ACA factory I saw a similar battery mod being put on the new champ. This would be a great mod for the 7gcaa and 7gcbc, getting rid of that long battery run and a lot of weight. Jerry, any chance of ACA creating a kit.
Ray

It sounds like you have an awesome aircraft. Can you tell me more about the light weight interior panels? Are you refering to just the aluminum panels with the upholstery removed, or is there some other type of mod that is available? Thanks

Would be a pain as a kit, but someone could use the Enersys battery based on tech data. Its standard on the Champ (since every pound counts on the little guy), but is available on all the other late models except those with inverted systems 7/8 KCAB. If someone is recovering,thats a good time to do it since, you are basically rewiring the aircraft and welding on the frame to boot.

Edit:
1. A X brace like in the top of the fuselage like a cub
2. Removal of the aluminum gap seals on bottom of wings in front of ailerons(not to sure about this one).
3. Carl Bohns, Super cub style landing gear (they wont approve any more until he gets it STCed)
4. Larger rudder (really considering it)
5. Light weight interior panels (really considering it)

1) I can't say this is worth the effort unless you run your wings into things; which I dont recommend either :p
2) Do you mean flap? New GCBC's dont have any wing gap seals (still have elevator ones). We did some testing back in the early 90's and found they either do nothing, or the surfaces do better without them. The surfaces (flap and aileron) could use a good ground up redesign that is not 1940's tech.
3) I can see this being easy on oleo, but the fuselage trusswork is beefed up differently on spring steel; could be daunting for the obstruction / drag loads.
4) Careful here, lots of testing done on those. I have a 'cheat' for you though. The 8KCAB is 30 degrees instead of 25 degrees. Other than the frame strength, The tailpost and rudder are the same....one could grind his stops the extra 5 degrees. Its still not approved and your mechanic would have to be incahoots because thats out of specs when he signs it off. So, I don't recommend this either, but its safer than slapping on an uncertified rudder.
5) Interested in what they do and how bad it looks/feels vs how much you save (i.e. tradeoffs)

Thanks for the info Jerry, makes me wonder about a couple of things.
1. First would ACA have any data that may be used for removal of the flap seals from my 73 GCBC or is it even necessary since they no longer have them.
2. Thanks for the rudder info as univair advertises its larger rudder as STCed. I like the 30 degree idea cause sometimes your doing a 180 degree turn in a windy valley and need the additional rudder authority. Plus it keeps the additional weight off the tail for STOL perfomance and would cost no money.
3. As far as the X brace, it might help when your parked upside down on the tundra(trust me it happens).
4. Non Factory interiors, I seen two my IA did, one using powder coated aluminum and the silver insulation(with the pop bubbles) and one with a texured paint multicolored paint and they looked Awesome. The powder coated one weight a little bit more, but one advantage of these are ease are cleaning (especially blood). I seen one commercially advertised somewhere but dont remember the name of the manufacture and have not seen them.

Thanks again, Terry

Back