7GCBC vs. PA-18

WWhunter

Have any of the members here owned both of these planes at one time? How do they compare as far as real world performance goes? I am looking for both take off and landing specs. I have researched different sites but real world is where it counts. The reason for my question is I am looking at a 7GCBC that I may trade my 172 for. I have been looking for a SuperCub but they have gotten out of my price range and a nice Citabria can be bought for 25-50% less.
Thanks,
Keith

Well Keith I can't say for sure because I've never flown a Super Cub but I would say that it would probably out perform the Citabria on takeoff, landing has a lot to do with pilot skill. The 7Gcbc when using flaps will get off the ground and climb so fast it's not "funny".,once again pilot skill has a lot to do with what's going on. Unless the small amount of difference in takeoff performance is very important the Citabria is the only choice. The cub will haul a heavier load but unless that is a factor the Citabria is the choice. In simple terms the Citabria is a "poor mans Super Cub".

Woodie
N29763

Keith:

Much of the difference is going to be the loose nut at the end of the stick. While the GCBC has the poorest useful load of all the Citabrias, a 'modern' Super Cub is also going to weigh in at 1100 pounds. You'll have around 500 useful pounds in the GCBC and about 600 or so in the -18. Either will carry much more than their respective gross weights allow, not that I would recommend or condone such behavior.

Performance-wise, on wheels they're going to be really close. If you bolt on a long, flat prop on the Citabria, it'll do *almost* what the Cub will. On floats, I think the Cub is a better performer. The GCBC *should* be faster, though, unless you can get a *really* flat prop approved. The only 7GCBC time I have is with a cruise prop installed. The PA-18 I flew had a long prop with 36- or 38-inch pitch. Departure stalls were nigh onto impossible.

One thing the Cub has in its favor is the robust landing gear. With safety cables installed, you can put to rest a lot of the dangers of 'belly' landings. Side-loads on the GCBC (and other 7-series with spring gear) will fold the legs up and tear them off. You may also experience less bounce with the Cub, thereby making for a shorter landing. Maybe. (My Champ has No-Bounce gear but I can still make it rebound.) Alaskan Bushwheels has fat tire STCs for both.

The Cub also has a lot more performance-enhancing (and bank-account depleting) modifications via STC. And, should you bend or break something, parts are readily available across the continent. Maybe not in Hawaii, though. ;-)

You could find an older 7GCBC with the oleo, No-Bounce gear, I guess... Then install Carl Bahn's bungee-style gear on it. Add a 'Borer' prop and Bushwheels and... Voila! A Super Citabria.

Jon B. (I want an 8GCBC Scout!)

Jon, Thanks. I have talked to you before I have my planes in MN and I am only here in Hawaii til summer. I come here for the winter because my wife is in the Army stationed here and I can't get much done on the construction of my house durring the winters there.

The reason for the question was I found a 7GCBC that a guy would be willing to trade me for my 172. But I already have a 7AC with 0-235 and have always wanted a Supercub. But they seem to always be out of my price range. And if the GCBC is close enough to what I am looking for I may go that route. But what was said about the usefull load has always been the "don't buy" point with Citabria.

Keith

Keith-

If you go the Citabria route let me know...I'd be interested in looking at your Champ...you still working on a Rebel project?
Regards,

Mark

I have had 2 Champs and 2 Citabrias with 65 - 150hp. The 7GCBC I have now takes 2 plus a good fuel load out of 1200' of up sloping grass at 75f without the slightest problem. It arrives back into the strip in 1/3 the length with minimal braking.

The success with the Citabria is practise and more practise. All Aeronca's and Bellancas will use the shortest run by taking off in the 3 point - DON'T RAISE THE TAIL. Once airbourne, pick up some speed and climb out.

On approach, once all the flap is out, you need to be approaching with the horn peeping with some power on - little flare and cut the power.

At my strip, we have a 150hp Super Cub and he and I get on and off in very similar amounts of grass - it is down to familiarity and practise that improves the performance.

Keith,
I have owned 7 and 8GCBC and a Super Cub I dont think you will be very happy with a 7 they wont be even close. I can tell you that I will put the Scout against the Super Cub any day. The only place the Super Cub was better is when you need to be light on a rough short field. I regulary only use 600ft of our strip at 4000' elevation. The Super cub controls are much better balanced. If your not going over boulders on short fields with just your fly rod, get a Scout you will rip the gear off the 7. Then there is always that Cub Driver boys club people like to be a member of. If status is it your gonna have to spring for the Super Cub. If you want to go any where without stopping for fuel and be able to get in and out easy, buy a Scout. IMO

Well, not to stick my nose to high in the air here. Let me comment with my $0.02. Unless your retired and loaded, go with the citabria. Most of the stigma with super cubs, is just that... The stigma of the bush pilot. So, what I am saying is that having flown both, and currently owning a simple 7ECA, Champs are the way to go hands down. Performance?? I'm taking a guess here, but I doubt you'll have a need to fly in any hunters into a tight 250" sand bar. The slight difference in performance is pretty easily compensated for by the savings in costs and pilot skill. Did i mention I fly/live in Alaska. Which all of us with ego's choose to think is the most demanding flying in the U.S.

Peeto,

You haven't found anything yet? We might be alot alike. Even though I have the Champ and a 172 I am still looking. I KNOW I need to fly the Champ more to realize its full potential. I am just so used to the 172 that I fly it like it's a part of me and feel I can get it into anyplace I can get the Champ into. Now getting it out is a different matter. Plus I have wanted a Super Cub since my first airplane ride in one when I was about 8. I found a 7GCBC that a guy may be interested in trading for my 172 and if I do I will sell the Champ. I'll try and remember you if the deal works out.

And yes, I am still plugging away on the Rebel. Problem is that it has been raining for nearly two months here in Hawaii and I can't get the parts outside to spray them with epoxy primer. So I really haven't gotten much done for two months.

Headed back to MN the 8th of June for 6 months to do some flying and work on my house there. Going to try and put the floats on the Champ and get my SES rating also.

Keith

Keith-

Good to hear from you...I've been noting the weather over there, thank goodness we took our Hawaii trip LAST year! Glad to hear you are plugging away on the Rebel...I think you will love it when done. Yeah, I'm still looking...almost bought a cub at auction here locally, but I'm trying to get a medical issue resolved so that I can obtain a medical this year (if I would have known then what I know now I would have NEVER gone to the Dr. in the first place!)...had a migraine...what a nightmare!!! Anyway, by time I get this thing settled (hopefully positively) the wife says buy whatever you want...I too was looking at a GCBC...but would prefer to stick with a champ/variant. Anyway, good luck and keep me posted. Mark

Back