7kcab inverted oil overhaul

smithp1

Greeting, anyone have any experience with "manual 320'' overhaul for 7kcab? Mine is a 69 with a Lycoming factory overhaul 420 hours. 400 hours is recommended and a longer time between overhauls was expected after more data was collected. Hate to drop my F.I.and sump unnecessarily. My oil pressure is aprox. 85 right side up and 80 inverted. Any help appreciated!

I'm slightly confused by your phrasing. The 320 is a 2000 hr engine in most configurations with most usages. Do you have a Lycoming inverted system or the Christen?

Smith,

I have a copy of the Manual 320 inspection, but I'll have to locate it. I have never done the inspection, so I can't be of any help on that.

Jimmy

Need an email addy for you.
We have it scanned. Whooping 8 pages.

Edit: and they did not use the Christen until 1974

osxuser, I think Smith was referring to overhaul on the inverted oil system at 400 hrs, not the engine.
By the way aerobatic Lycoming overhauls are 1600 TBO, according to Lycoming SI 1009AV.
Hope this helps,
Bill Becker

WOW, thanks for all the replies. I was referring to the Bellanca/ Lycoming inverted system.
The "320 overhaul manual" (400hr) is specifically for the inverted system. Manual comes with the plane or you can get a copy at ACA. Problem is that is the only part they sell in regards to the overhaul. Other parts NA. Since I have searched this site and found no mention and found no ad's or 7kcabs in the corn fields I think I'm ok till next annual. Great if someone with a 7kcab noodled this that was smarter than me and could share. Thanks again

Jerry,
Could you email me a copy also? I have a paper copy somewhere but it keeps eluding me!

Jimmy.payne@att.net

Thanks,

Jimmy

Sent to Jimmy and Bill....
Bob's email bounced that the inbox was full. The club must be flooding him with articles for the newsletter!

What should us 7kcab drivers do? Looking at the drawings I can see the wisdom in having the inverted system outside the sump aka christen system. Seems a failure in the oil pick up tube (180 degree movement required) could put you in a corn field it's worth thinking about. Could be a robust design with no worries till overhaul until and when you could convert to current design. I'm going to take a look next annual. Gotta take a look. Has anyone taken a look.?My hope is for the few times inverted systems are used in a 7kcab (my buddy) no outside maneuvers this is a non issue. Buy the way thanks for having me and I'm soon to be a private pilot. :shock: :shock:

I have a 1970 7KCAB with the original inverted oil system. I have been taking the EMT/acro course at CP Aviation in Santa Paula, Ca with Judy Phelps and she has been the best instuctor, so because of my new addiction to aerobatics I will be doing acro in my plane.
I am Starting work on the annual next week and I can't find info on original inverted oil system and or inspections, Is there someway I could get information on the inverted system for my A&P IA from one you, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Bill
5476zulu@gmail.com

A Christen system popped up on Barnstormers yesterday for $600. Don't know any other details. Mechanically it would not be difficult to convert but paperwork would be another issue as I don't know what it is pulled off of.
Bill

Back