8.50 x 6 smooth 4ply on 7GCBC

1gordyk

I recently changed out my stock 6.00 x 6 6ply tires for a set of Aero Classic smooth 8.50 x 6, 4 ply tires. I am running 20 psi and i love em! They are not tundra tires but they have much more flex than the stock tires, they absorb more shock on bad landings and seem to take a lot of the spring back out of the spring steel gear. The airplane even rolls easier when pushing it around by hand and more prop clearance. For my use, (40% pave, 40% grass runway, and 20% off airport) they are the the way to go :D. The only down sides are they are 2.1 lbs heavier per tire and I see at most a 2 knot decrease in cruise speed compared to the 6.00 x 6s with wheel pants.

Those tires seem like just what I need. What kind of approvals do you need to put those tires on a 7GCBC? Is there an STC, or field approval? ACA says I'll need two spacer (per wheel). Are there any restrictions on aerobatics, etc?

There is a stc. Google stc SA3019SA for a copy of stc. It states in the stc that the owner waves all proprietary rights so all you need is a copy of the stc a
nd fill out a 337. If anyone is interested, send me an email and i can email u a copy of my stc for reference. There is no aerobatic restrictions listed on the stc. I now have about 40 hours on the tires, mostly pavement and dont see any tire wear. I am now running 15 lbs of air pressure with no problems. From what i have heard some people do not have to run any brake disc shims,so i would try them first before adding shims. I had to add one AN washer to each bolt between the brake disc and wheel. Since adding washer i have had no rubbing.

Back