8GCBC / 7GCBC flaps, securing when not in flight...

ffskw2002

I've written in this forum before; I have the recently purchased 03 Scout. I had the 1980 for 1600 hrs & 8 yrs. But tonite, at my new tie-down here in ANC, the winds are to blow. I secure my flaps with gust locks (that usually fall off)...but tonite I checked 2 older Scouts on the field...and their flaps are locked in place, and no gust locks? What's the deal...and I thought I knew Scouts?

That mechanism is pretty much unchanged (in function) since its creation. Not sure what is happening there.

Your 1980 was locked?

Chances are they used the front seat belt around the rear stick in its full forward position to lock the ailerons and the elevator in it's full down positon. With this configuration it is better to tie the airplane down tail into the wind.

Ron86654

Thanks for the two responses! I'm not referring to the elevator or ailerons...

No, my 80 Scout was the same as the 03 that I now have -- where the flaps can not lock in the up position (like, say the C-180 or 206).

Really, just by your comment Jerrry, you've answered my question -- the flaps don't lock and, without gust locks, they can move (or bang, and be damaged) with gusts blowing from the rear. Correct?

Last nite I checked two other Scouts and, I swear, their flaps were LOCKED in place...and no gusts locks visible on the outside??

There's no modification is there, where the flaps can lock UP for when parked?

Well, annoying as it is, you can prevent movement from a tailwind by just pulling 4 notches. Such that you are against the stop (preventing down) and against the teeth (preventing up)

I know the Canadian Air Cadet Glider Tow planes are secured that way. I really dont know how the older ones are secured. I dont really see in the system where you could secure them.

Yep, pulling the flaps is what I did last nite...and no damage this a.m.

Thanks again for the support Jerry...I met you YEARS ago when I came to look at a Scout, and your Dad took me out to supper...and you came by to say HI! You were still in school somewhere...

Appreciate your support

Thats going to be 14 years + then.....
I am a balding middle age man with kids now. I miss those school days....

Back