8GCBC Scout Flaps

Scouter

Paging Jerry Jr:

Had the metal belly off the Scout, and was looking at the flap actuating mechanism. Looks like there is a 5th flap notch to be had? It has 5 detents in the ratchet, and the stop has another location to move to to allow more travel to get the 5th stop. Any ideas? Were all Scouts built this way and just not certified with the 5th notch? Thanks for your input.

Jim

Good trivia question actually

The flap mechanism is actually stolen from the 7GCBC which had 5 notches. Our very first few scouts actually used the 5th notch. However, in order for the flap to handle the load increase, it was completely metalized. It was heavy and the 5th notch has minimal performance change from the 4th notch. Also, the geometry in the cockpit made it near imposible to pull that last notch. Picture the highest air load combined with the least amount of leverage.

If the cove shape and hinge geometry were different, I am sure the 5th notch could be viable, but as it stands, its more of a spoiler.

...and Jerry, I'm now on my 2nd Scout (an 03) and I always heard that the 5th notch was 'removed' because it caused such incredible vibration on the horiz. tail when one conducts a full-power go-around? I had the 5th notch and saw BAD vibration in that very situation!? Comments?

I use the 5th notch only when needed, adding it only at slow airspeeds, and dump the 5th notch ASAP?

Thanks...I've always wondered about this one...

ffskw

Do you use the 5th notch on your 03?

Jerry do you think could this be used as long as speeds are kept below lets say 65MPH.

Mr. Scout...with the FAA paranoia I've gained over the years, I'll just say I used 'full flaps' this evening at a short gravel strip, and I think it makes a difference...(<:)

Yeah, the vibration you're seeing the extra downwash from that last notch changing the flow over the tail.

The 5th notch is still in there and unfortunately, you have to prove all notches all the way out the white arc unless you want to publish a list of limitations that no one will follow. hehe

The amount of leverage you have for the 5th notch means you won't be able to pull it past low speeds anyway unless you just ate your spinach.

From an official factory point of veiw, you can't use that notch.
Could you use it, and safely? Yes, very easily if you keep it slower.
Just remember we told you not to. :lol:

I, for one, respect your advice and courage Jerry. Thanks!

Mr. Scout, if you want to discuss this further, let me know and we can email about it!

Thanks again...I love this Scout connection!

Back