8GCBC with the MT 3-bladed??

ffskw2002

I have an 03 Scout with the Hartzell 3-bladed prop. Has anyone attached the equivalent MT prop? Jerry, would you mind commenting on what you all have done...or who I could call at your shop for info?

Thanks in advance! Steve

There are 2 MT's approved. There is a 76" 3-blade and an 80" 2-blade. I recommend the 2-blade, but they both bolt right on and are called out in the TCDS.

Why the 2 blade? Also, not knowing much about the CS props available, which of the MT props is the really light one and are there any drawbacks?

2-blade is lighter by like 12 pounds (I would guess about 25# lighter than your prop)
2-blade is cheaper
2-blade has a bigger disc area, lending to static thrust.

Hows that!?! hehe :p

The drawbacks are generally very slight. The MTs are better for some things while aluminum is better for other things. For the most part, it has to do with things hitting the prop (big and small) :wink:

AKFlyHunt, if you want to see the Hartzell 3-bladed, and discuss its benefits and negatives, let me know! I'm at MRL.

Jerry, could I call ya regarding this decision...I'm in no rush (bank payments on the 03 - you know how it goes...) but am very interested in a front-end weight savings?

Sure.

I won't know $$ though. Thats Jerry Sr's dept. And you can't be a in a rush, MT has a 12 week lead time :)

I just replaced my 3 blade Hartzel with a MT 2 blade 80'' on my 03 Scout...Wow...this prop is fantastic, super smooth, 30+lbs of the nose, no RPM restricted range, pulls great. I did loss 2-3 kts top end, but that is minor compared to the plus's.
Al

Thanks for the post Al !!

Any comments yet on how the MT is regarding repairing/filing gravel or off-runway prop nicks, etc.?

Did you consider the MT 3-bladed option?

Where are you at near Toronto...I'm heading to Maine then Oshkosh (from AK) hopefully in July!

Steve

Steve..I only have a few hours on the new prop, so durability is not yet proven. I can only go by MT's track record, and that seems to be very good. I was on wheels last week when I commented on the prop. This past weekend my Amphibs went back on. The 2 blade is better for seaplane operation so I was intentionally moving away from the 3 blade, and this prop has far exceeded my expectations. It was the right move!
If you call Bob Hanna on the West coast, he will tell you that this is the right prop for this airplane.
N44.09.73 W78.49.31 is the dock at my house. You are more than welcome to drop in and visit.
Al

I have a 3 blade Hartzell on my Scout for about 2 years now. I do survey work over people and like how much quieter the 3 blade is compared to the 2 blade hartzell I had on before. Is the 2 blade MT as loud as the 2 blade hartzell? I have problems with running out of elevator on landing with the heavier 3 blade hartzell when coming in slow with power off, if the 2 blade MT is Approx 25 lbs lighter, that would help with that.

For noise, you cannot get more opposite. The 2-blade MT is LOUD. In fact it only passed the Part 36 test by a few thousandths of a dBA. The 3-blade Hartzell is the quietest prop we got. You are talking 6 inches of diameter here. That is huge, accoustically.

Now Jerry, it is posts like your last one that makes this forum work and makes it so valuable. I would have never known that about the MT and it makes a considerable difference on my wanting to keep the 3-bladed that I have! Thanks!

Hehe, thanx

Well, its really the same trade off over and over. Disk area = more low speed thrust. And diameter (disk area) means faster tip speed (noise), unless you are able to turn it slower. You turn it slower and your engine make less power. Evil circle of life.

So, you have to choose the prop based on mission statement. Generally, the MT fits the bill. Now don't get me wrong, I say its loud, but its still no Stearman or 300HP Cessna 185. Now those are loud. :p

Back