8KCAB tail wire tuning / flying wire tension

kpin

I want to check the tension on the flying wires of my 8KCAB. The maintance manual offers a tension spec of in the area of 300 to 400 lbs. I do not know exactly what this means since I can't believe they are talking about a standard cable tension meter. Piper people use a figh scale and a deflection measurement. I am told the ACA factory uses a tone. Anyone know the procedure as well as a method? It seems to me if you tighten on if will tighten the bottom and quite possibly the other side wires at the same time. Keeping everything plumb at the same time has to be somewhat of a trick. Any suggestions?

Years ago, Mcwhyte told me the correct tension is a 'low base tone.' You shouldn't have to adjust if it was correctly done in the first place. If you over tighten, you risk breaking the wire at the jamb nut. This topic was covered in the Cruisair/Cruisemaster forum not too long ago.

Thanks Dan,

I read the information regarding the tail wires. I assume the low E mentioned is the e below middle C. Regardless, I also found the lower wires are shorter than the upper and if they were all tightened to the factory spec, the lower wires would have a higher tone than the upper. I also inspected mine and they are not correct. The tail was recovered at one time and probably not correctly tightened. They appera to be too tight. I believe I am experiencing some harmonics. Any further suggestions are appreciated. I will also call ACA today as well as some rebuilders and get a concensus of opinions.

Ken

Back