A 165 for a 14-13-2

nvracer

I am building a Franklin 165 to put in my '47 Crusair which presently has a Franklin 150. The MA4-5 carb has a much larger air inlet than the MA3-SPA. Does anyone know how Bellanca handled the difference in air boxes & possible intake duct size for the 165 option? It would also be great to incorporate an air filter if I need to make changes. Any info will be appreciated.

N33GM Ray

Bruce Kown has one of the air boxes like my 165 powered cruiseair has. His number is 770-386-7435, tell him I sent you. Greg

I am going through the same thing with my 14-13. It was already modified when I got it. They used a Stinson airbox and made an ugly-looking scoop for it in the bottom cowl. They also had to cut away the stiffener at the rear of the bottom cowl to clear the airbox with the larger carburetor. No air filter! All this will have to be changed before I get the airplane flying again. I might be able to use a Stinson filter and scoop but it looks like it will induce a lot of drag. I am trying to find an airbox from a Franklin-powered Maule to see if that could work but I haven't found one yet. When I do I'll post the results here.

I have an airbox/filter from a Cherokee 180 that has been modified to fit the 165 powered Cruisair. It came with a project and had no paper work. There was a small extra slit in the bottom cowl , but nothing that hung down in the slipstream. The oil cooler was moved forward an inch or two. I have been told that the Cherokee 180s had two different filters over their production run, and I dont know which this is. If and when I ever get around to putting the 165 into my plane, I will try to get it legal. I will try to get my son to help me post some photos of the unit. I understand that the Bruce Kown unit is very well made , but I dont know if it has a filter or not. Photos in a week or so.________Grant.

Back