A Funny Thing Happend on My Way to the Forum

Jonathan Baron

Thanks to Russell I made it to Columbia despite this:

http://www.democratherald.com/articles/2006/06/09/news/local/news02.txt

And I had a wonderful time at the event. Both a Viking and a triple tail performed terrific buzz jobs and the folks were splendid company. If you live anywhere within practical flying distance from this fly-in, you MUST put it on your calendar.

Jonathan

Jonathan,
Please accept my condolences. I hate to say it, but I know how you feel although my event was precipitated by failure of the gear actuator ( my right hand while brain was engaged elsewhere). I was completely surprised at the effectiveness of the braking.

Jonathan, I too almost did a belly up. When I got the crate I added a very loud buzzer from Radio Shack and a Large red warning light on the panel. The buzzer saved my arse on the flair and I was almost there for the big slide. Let us know what happened to the gear. This too shall pass! :wink: Lynn N9818B the crate

Jonathan Baron said:
Thanks to Russell I made it to Columbia despite this:

http://www.democratherald.com/articles/2006/06/09/news/local/news02.txt

And I had a wonderful time at the event. Both a Viking and a triple tail performed terrific buzz jobs and the folks were splendid company. If you live anywhere within practical flying distance from this fly-in, you MUST put it on your calendar.

Jonathan

hey jonathan!

kinda interesting that the newspaper article seemed both accurate and non-inflammatory. was the reporter a pilot or a good buddy?

hope the structural damage was not too extensive. was the prop destroyed or can it be repaired? as i said, my fwf rig may be for sale in a year or so. of course, you'd like to be flying before then.

keep in touch!

blue skies,
vic & N522A

Sorry to hear of your belly dance in the Bellanca Jonathan..

I spent several serious brain freezing hours getting you gear to stay down and locked. Just coming out of annual ? I wouldn't wish this on anyone , but I'm glad my name wasn't on it this annual.
The hydraulic pack I installed is the one that failed ?
I don't recall where you bought that one .

again , sorry !

The Kittie Hill Annual BBQ fly in is tomorrow . Whish you could come.

joe:

Wish I could be there too, Joe...weather has remained challenging here in the Pacific NW, and I doubt my Luscombe could get me there in time even in CAVU skies with nothing but tailwinds.

For those listening in, Joe Sills is a fine mechanic at 77T in Leander, Texas: three grass strips, no pavement of any sort, and hangars of all sorts, many now of that silvery wood you get when paint has long ago vanished and the finish is the wood's character alone.

When Joe annuals your airplane, it always comes out better than when it went on - not simply up to airworthiness standards. Sometimes it's little things, like a patch of velcro keeping an ANR headset battery box from dangling all over the cockpit. Sometimes it's a custom metal panel piece to cover up a yawning, ugly space in your panel where an ancient radio was removed ages ago. Just don't bother him while he works or phone him too often, and everything will turn out better than just fine :)

The pack I had in there at the time had been rebuilt for over three thousand dollars, and nearly drove the old fella who wrestled with it crazy. You could raise or lower the gear but it would pop out of over-center constantly on he ground. Kept you busy shoving that gear switch down as you taxied around. Joe's temporary solution was to keep one foot mashed on the switch - not one that would work for me, exactly.

There were four 14-19s on the field, most undergoing restoration of sorts. Joe borrowed a pack from one and it worked great. Seeing no point in further work on my pack, I hunted one down from a 'Master Al Pontius was parting out. It too worked wonderfully except for that single day. It doesn't matter that you installed it, Joe.

To my mind the whole things was the fault of no one. All mechanical things fail. They attach time to some of these to lessen the risk of failure - TBO, for example - but the risk is always there. There was no way the impending failure of my pack could have been revealed during the annual. The gear went up and down just fine.

"Stuff" happens all the time. When it happens in the air it can be distinctly more "memorable." You sign this unwritten contract every time you climb into the cockpit. That's that.

Hey Randy, and the other Texans within flying distance of Leander (near Austin): you'd do well to fly to 77T for the BBQ. Joe keeps his smoker going outside his hangar for a nice, long time prior to these events. The food is EXCELLENT, to understate things :)

Jonathan

Jonathan, you are a SAINT!
I sure hope your machine gets up and going for Blakesburg. :D :D
Lynn N9818B

Well, Randy, the BBQ is today at Kittie Hill Airport (77T) with fireworks - not those wimpy poppers, but more like military ordinance hand crafted by some proud Vietnam Vets - this evening. Wish to heck I could be there. The food is, of couse, genuine Texas BBQ, and I love the sound of shrapnel tinkling on the tin roofs of the hangars....that is, if you're no so close to the fireworks that your ears are ringing :lol:

Blakesburg begins the Wednesday before Labor Day weekend and ends the Sunday before Labor Day. Most people show up later in the week - Friday, mostly. For the die-hards, though, it's great to sit out in the grass early and watch those antiques appear, one by one, out of the air above the prarie like magical emissaries from decades long ago.

Jonathan

Back