A Thank You To Dan Cullman

bdon661

All:

I recently acquired NC86916, a very pretty 1946 14-13 that was part of the Richard Hulme collection in Santa Maria, CA for many years. Mr. Hulme passed last year and the collection is being sold off. The Bellanca had been inactive for many years, but Mr. Hulme was a stickler for detail and kept the airplane (and the rest of the collection) in a magnificent hangar with no expense spared for upkeep.

After closing the deal on the airplane, I had to get it back in service. An extensive pre-buy turned into an annual inspection and I was surprised at the relatively short discrepancy list. But I had limited time to get the airplane back in service and could not have done it without a lot of help. A huge THANK YOU goes out to Dan Cullman, Susan at Franklin Engine Parts, Chris Callum at Airworx, and some very talented local mechanics - George, Sehon, Jose, and the Foley's. The initial test flight of NC86916 took place on Thursday, March 5 and would not have been the safe and relatively uneventful affair that it was without the help of these dedicated professionals. They took weekend calls, provided excellent advice, and were extraordinarily generous with their time and expertise. They are what aviation is all about.

If any of you would like to follow the story of my Bellanca, please go to http://www.aerialvisuals.ca and type NC86916 in the Airframe Database search line. FWIW, this is an excellent aviation enthusiast site for those of us who don't do Facebook.

I just realized there is a limit of three pics for any post on the board, so here are three more pics of NC86916.

Best Wishes,
Brad Donner

We all owe a thanks to Dan for his technical advice and his great Bellanca Historical knowledge that has benefited us all. It would be very difficult to own an early Bellanca without Dans help, even if he gets grumpy about not enough posts on the prewar site. He is the only one who knows anything about the prewar Bellancas. Keep up the good work Dan!!!!! ____Grant. (Just one of your students.)

glad to hear you got it going, and presume you have it home in texas.
Nice addition to your collection of vintage planes.

larry :D

bdon661 said:
All:

I recently acquired NC86916, a very pretty 1946 14-13 that was part of the Richard Hulme collection in Santa Maria, CA for many years. Mr. Hulme passed last year and the collection is being sold off. The Bellanca had been inactive for many years, but Mr. Hulme was a stickler for detail and kept the airplane (and the rest of the collection) in a magnificent hangar with no expense spared for upkeep.

We'll see you back in California for the June Fly-In? You just might win best Triple Tail with that bird.

June 12th to 14th 2015 - The 2015 West Coast Bellanca-Champion Club Fly-In. This event is hosted in Columbia California (o22) and has the biggest draw for Bellancas in the country. Hotels within walking distance or use the on airport campground. Invited speakers and off airport activity. Rental cars available. The club hosts meals from Dinner Friday night through Breakfast Sunday morning. http://bellanca-championclub.com/WC2015upcoming.html

Frank:

Thank you for the invitation. It sounds like a great event and I hope to attend, although my Summer schedule might interfere. Are there any Bellanca events in Texas or the middle of the country? If not, let's talk about having one. There are plenty of nice venues in this area for a Bellanca fly-in and I'm open to helping with the leg work.

Best Wishes,
Brad Donner

bdon661 said:
Frank:

Thank you for the invitation. It sounds like a great event and I hope to attend, although my Summer schedule might interfere. Are there any Bellanca events in Texas or the middle of the country? If not, let's talk about having one. There are plenty of nice venues in this area for a Bellanca fly-in and I'm open to helping with the leg work.

Best Wishes,
Brad Donner

No. We had a Viking Fly-In Port Aransas, TX in 2013 but that was a one time event. Another in Branson MO 2012. Plainview Tx 2006, just before Miller's was sold to Rocket. If you put something together in TX make sure the Viking' Group knows about it, there are more Vikings in TX than any other state. http://www.vikingpilots.com/forum.php .

The annual Bellanca-Champion Club Fly-In held in Columbia California is the biggest gathering of Bellanca's in the world. It's always held the week-end before Fathers Day. Bellanca owners come from a lot farther than TX to attend. More information here: http://www.bellanca-championclub.com/WC2015upcoming.html

There is a VikingPilots.com event planned for Las Vegas NV June 16 - 19, 2016 so you'll want to steer clear of that date. Anyone is welcome to attend. The highlight of the event is a hard hat tour of Hoover Dam, a Viking owner works there. We've done it before and gone places you would have never imagined. How many here have been in a penstock at Hoover Dam walking out under 500' feet of water to an intake tower in Lake Mead?

Pictures from Columbia 2014:

295ctj4.jpg

20su93l.jpg

20k6flj.jpg

Back