ADS-B Installed?

rbausone

Anyone done this yet? I suspect a lot of you. If you could list your choice of equipment (complete) and what you like and dislike about your choices, that would be helpful in making our own choice. We have a 7KCAB and our hangar is within the 30 Mile Mode C veil.

I'm in the same boat as you. My 7ECA needs ADS-B out because I'm within the DFW Class B. Cheapest solution may not be the best. My avionics guy just loves the L-3 Lynx, and I gotta admit the ability to see traffic and weather in basically the same rack space as my ancient King Transponder is appealing. But it is a bit more money than the Garmin GTX-3x5 solution, and all three of those are more than the NavWorx solutions...I'm just afraid that if I go the NavWorx route, my transponder will die 24 hours later...

A good friend of mine just had ADS-B installed in his Citabria. He went with the Garmin GTX-345 and it works great for him, it displays traffic on his Garmin aera-650 and his Ipad with foreflight, his total cost pre-rebate was about 5k. The installation on the Garmin is well known and fairly straight forward, which saved him some shop time. He also didn't have a WAAS GPS source, so that includes the antenna and install for that.

Another fellow wanted ADS-B in his Cessna 182, so he decided to buy the Appareo Stratus ESG. Total installed cost pre-rebate was about 4k. The install is not as well known, and apparently is slightly more complicated. Keep in mind the ESG is ADS-B out only. He then bought a stratus 2S for ADS-B in (another 800 bucks). So he ended up being about 5k total cost for in and out.

My personal opinion is that I am going to wait until 2019, under the assumption that the technology will either get better or cheaper or both. If my transponder quits, I will install sooner.

As for your options, while it is the most expensive, the Garmin GTX-345 seems like the best deal. It gives you reliable ADS-B in and out, without any other supporting devices or complications. It is a known entity, a known company, and a known product. Any avionics shop will be able to install it without issue.
I would stay away from the Nav-worx box. I have heard only bad reviews.

I also love the Lynx L3. I have a 8KCAB and frequently fly aerobatics and don't want a hand held device for ADS-B in.
With the Lynx I would have it all in the panel. One problem is, although the unit tray is the same size as a normal transponder, the face of the unit is 1.8" vertically. The face of my current transponder is about 1.54", so the Lynx will not fit without moving the com which is directly above it.
Bill B

I think that I would talk to your avionics shop about install cost first. If install is more than the actual transponder, it may lead you in a different direction

Thanks to all who provided info thus far. Please keep it coming...

I too would prefer to wait, but I'm concerned that shop space/time could fill up very fast and there could be stock outs which has already happened (according to what I hear on the webinar's).
If I wait, it will give me time to put the money aside (outside the normal spend for this hobby).
We are also considering a Nav/Com since ours is original equipment (might even have tubes, I' don't know)! It's an Edo-Aire RT-563A mounted right above the Transponder. I don't see any other panel space, except the 2 inch round Loran display...Need to get that out too, since they are of no use now!
Anyone have thoughts on Nav/Com radios? Considering Icom and Bendix King...

I had a Val avionics comm 2000 which was surprisingly nice. I have also used their INS 429 which is an integrated nav and GS package. Super trick. Easy to use. They are also very inexpensive.

I have flown with a Garmin SL30, and it is awesome. Easy to use, clear, powerful, and the monitor feature is very useful. I think they are about 5k installed.

My current bird has a 430W as the primary, which works flawlessly. I also have an older king long as a second Comm, and it just works OK, but it is also fairly old, so no real comparison.

As expensive as Garmin products are, they are reliable, work well, and seem to have a significant impact on resale value. I don't know if I could justify installing Garmin over say Val avionics, but I was lucky to buy a bird that had a 430w already installed, and will therefore probably stick with Garmin products

Garmin has great products, no doubt. However be aware. When they come out with new stuff to sell you they think nothing of dropping all support for older products. When I rebuilt my 8KCAB 14 years ago I installed a new panel including a Garmin GPS155XL, great product. When the display went dim I called Garmin for repair, they said they have no parts and do not work on them any longer. But I can order any part I want for a 60 year old Briggs and Straton engine!
Just so you know.
Bill B

I asked Lynx L3 people what the cost would be to install.
They say in the Southeast it has been running 12-20 hours.

One of the hidden expenses is the WAAS antenna.
Garmin makes a reasonable one, but its just a teardrop that is more designed for a metal plane.

On new machines we been using a Cobham unit that combines the GPS/WAAS/Comm into one antenna, but its more money.

Food for thought

Anyone used the Stratus option? 3K for the transponder and if you link the 2S puck with it you get AHRS and ads-b in on your cleverly mounted iPad. That's what I intend to use..... thoughts?

A couple of friends on other forums have gone with the Stratus ESG — well one with the ESG, the other with the ESGi (which is basically an ESG with a Stratus in the kit instead of purchasing one).

Both seem very happy with the units, and both got their "FAA Rebate" with no problems.

deborahmoseley said:
Does anyone have an opinion on the Levil ADS-B out system?
http://www.avweb.com/videos/Levil-Aviations-New-BOM-and-ADS-B-228792-1.html
Experimental only, until they get FAA approval otherwise...

I'm in the process of installing the Stratus ESG in my 7ECA I have the S2 for ADSB in and love it have had it since 2014 but if you don't have an S2 the have a ADSB in receiver with no GPS it works with the GPS in the Transponder and runs about $400

Put a Garmin 345 in my Super D, working as it should. It gives me traffic and weather on my Aera 660 as well and I'm really liking that I have more traffic awareness.

My flying club has 2 Cessnas and I have a 65 7ECA. We have worked out a great package deal to have the Stratus ESG installed in all three.
In the Cessnas, I am currently using WingX Pro on an iPad Mini with a Dual 190 to receive. I haven't actually used the iPad in the Citabria yet. but suspect it will go on a knee pad, or a suction mount to the left corner of the windscreen. Currently, I use an Anywhere Map Quadra in the Citabria. Great little unit, but doesn't get ADS-B in. :(

Dale

jstro said:
Put a Garmin 345 in my Super D, working as it should. It gives me traffic and weather on my Aera 660 as well and I'm really liking that I have more traffic awareness.

Any issues flying acro with ads-b out? I have heard reports of guys getting confused ads-b reports because the system has a hard time with the constant altitude and heading changes. Does your 345 keep up ok while flying acro?

Back