ADS-B Reboot

Trot

Howdy all,

I know it's been a while past the 2020 mandate hit us, but I wanted to share what worked for my triple tail in case some are still needing to get it done.

I decided to go with the GDL 82 and keep using my Narco transponder, but decided to replace my Narco with a Garmin GTX 327 Transponder I found on eBay for about $350. After I did my last annual I pulled the front apart on my bird and left it with a local av shop to install. I was out on military duty when the install happened but he said it wasn't too tough to install with the easy access from outside. I had him install the GPS antenna on top on my panel so we wouldn't have to mess with getting to the back of the fuselage and mounting it under the fabric. He swapped out my Narco with the 327, mounted the 82 right there with it, and just ran the wires with the existing ones to new ones. Since then I've used some black felt cloth to cover the white antenna so it doesn't reflect on the windshield and it works fantastic.

Very happy with it, works great and basically I was able to get it all done for around $3000. Hopefully if there are folks here who are still looking for ideas this might help come up with a few!

-Trot

Very nice!
Having a removable boot cowl must be nice! Us -2 guys like to break our backs on the gear handle to get under the panel.

-Adam

I was told back in Aug 2018 by the antenna engineer that you can put a thin coat of paint on the antenna. My antenna is mounted on the glare shield and painted flat black. It has never missed a beat. I too have a Garmin 82 and I mounted it in the belly access. I also installed the fail light and anonymous switch. I have done 25 Garmin 82s and had one fail after 8 months. Garmin replaced it. The best ADS-b in my opinion is the Stratus ESG. Lynn the crate

I had a Garmin 327 already, so I traded it in on a 345 back in 2016. Easy Peasy and now my Foreflight lights up with traffic and weather.
No one told me about the voice alerts though.. the first time I heard "Traffic ahead, same altitude" in my headset it scared the bejeezuz out of me.
Taking the plane out today for the first time in three years so I'm going to have to relearn how to use it :)

I have an empty hole right now where comm and transponder use to be, so many things out there and how to justify spending a bunch on a plane that is not worth much? I like the 375 but not the price, I see the 345 with and I pad lot cheaper?

Back