Aileron cable rubbing

tejasflyr

Well now that I think I fixed the rudder cable issue, I am now on to ailerons. I I noticed that the ailerons seemed to be dragging and found that the cables on both the left and right sides seem to be rubbing on the fabric insulation between the cable and the boot cowl. Has anyone seen this and is so any solutions?

Left
View attachment 1

Right

Mark

I'm not sure that the insulation from your pictures was the standard issue. My -2 does not have the same insulation in the boot cowl area and while the cable runs close to the insulating material, it does not rub. As you know Bellanca did not use the same materials and components from aircraft to aircraft. If you would take a few more pictures from a farther distance I could provide better feedback. BTW, what is your serial number?

Rob,

Here are pictures for better context. This is just one side. It looks like the cable routing is straight from the front pulley behind the black "yoke bar" for lack of a better name, to the horn behind the front seats that connect to the aileron tube and cross fuselage cable. My N number is N9805B and SN is 4057.

Mark

View attachment 1

Is it possible that the cable wasn't originally rubbing and that the insulation has broken down and puffed up over time?
-Adam

In looking closely at this insulation it is pretty thin and does not appear to be puffing out.

I do think I am creeping up on the solution. I don't get out to the hangar as much as I would like, so it takes a little time to make progress sometimes.

I was tracing everything out and realized that the "cross over" cable (not sure what else to call it, as it crosses over from left to right aileron horns just under the rear seats where the aileron control tubes attached) was a little loose. I thought that maybe if I increased the tension, it might change the angle of the cable by the boot cowl insulation area. When I tightened the cable, the drag on the ailerons increased significantly. So back to scratching my head. I then pulled the wing root fairings and had somewhat of an ah-ha moment. What I found was the following.

View attachment 2
View attachment 1

Both sides are the same. It looks like this wood is pushing the cables out towards the outboard and is probably the main resistance I feel and would make sense why it got so hard to move by increasing the tension on the cable. It appears that the wood was put there to provide protection from between the structural tubes and the cable. It doesn't seem to serve any other purpose. It might have been added when the last fabric work was done. I know it was not a pro that did it. I am thinking they may have added a little extra wood.

Does anyone else know if they have this wood? Any ideas?

Mark

Mark,
I've got a 14-19, and found no such installation on mine when I rebuilt it. It's tight quarters for those cables, but I've not had a problem with interference from the insulation or tubing. Tom Robinson

Back