Air Filter

pdriscoll

My Bellanca 14-13 (165hp Franklin) has a unique air filter system. Air enters the system via the normal round airscoop on the cowl. The scat tube then runs under the exhaust system, along the right side of the lower cowl to an airbox on the right side of the firewall. Air enters the lower part of airbox and exits on the top. From the airbox the air goes to the Marvel 4-5 carb via a scat tube. This system seems a bit complex, as it has a lot of scat tubing and lots of twists and turns that could degrade the inlet air resulting in decrease HP. I have read prior forum entries in which a field approval for a piper or Maule airbox is used so the air goes directly (straight) to the airbox/filter and then to the Carb. This arrangement seems simple, with no twists or turns to degrade inlet air, possibly resulting in increased HP. If anyone has any specific information they would like to share, it would be much appreciated. Pat

Hi Pat,
Larry Shapiro in Santa Rosa, CA has a beautiful air box set up for his 165 powered Cruisair. Larry's email is;

ls8 "at" sonic.net

I'd suggest you contact him and ask for his drawings/photos.

Larry Lowenkron

Back