Airbox for 165 powered Cruisair

gjordan

Does anyone have a 337 for an airbox for the 165 powered Cruisair. Since no Cruisairs actually left the factory (or at least that is the story) with a 165, all of the 165 powered Cruisairs have modified or completely different airbox,s. Does anyone have a 337 that could be used to show a clueless IA how to write one up? Has anyone used a Stinson airbox and gotten it approved. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Grant.

Thanks, Larry, I had not thought of Larry S. I think his plane is pretty well documented. I will give him a call. Grant.

Grant,
Also reach out to Scott Thomas. His late cruisair was well documents and he should have the 337 from my old cruisair for installing an automotive style cone air filter on the cruisair
-Adam

i just got a 337 for a brackett air filter this summer, but it's for a 14-19-2. but it was pretty straightforward and the faa inspector intimated that such applications are looked on favorably by the faa these days when the original parts are no longer obtainable.

This all sounds good. The friend I am trying to help has a Stinson airbox on his Cruisair but his new IA doesnt want to do a 337, so we are hoping to find an already approved setup. Grant.

I’d look for a new IA. Get Larry S. Airbox info and send it in. If you’re lucky, the Fed who signed off block three may still be working there. Find him and send it to him after you call him. Make sure you contact him upfront don’t just drop it on him. The other way is just build the box per Larry’s drawings and stick it on. Most IAs don’t have a clue what the original air box looks like, in fact does anybody?
Regarding the air filter, I think you’ve got a few. If not I will re-send you both of the ones that I have. I believe, but I’m not quite sure, that the air filter would be an air frame modification not an engine modification. Lynn, what do you think?

I sold the 165 filter that I had. Mark is not concerned with the filter. The IA just dinged his airbox. Yes I think he needs a new IA. I am going to send him the drawings for the 180 Franklin installation and its modified airbox. I assume the mods are of a 150 airbox since Bellanca never actually installed 165s, or at least on new planes. They may have retrofitted some but nobody seems to know. Another Bellanca mystery. Grant.

There is on on Barnstormers.
check out:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bellanca-Cruisair-Cruisemaster-Carburetor-Heat-Box-Control/132758016180?hash=item1ee8fe90b4:g:y0IAAOSw8RJXCp8v&vxp=mtr

Back