Airbus / Aircruiser

Jonathan Baron

The chief problem, Dan, is that so few - meaning next to none - of the true Bellanca fleet, other the 14 series, exists in any form. There's the Airbus I mentioned in Oregon, the CF at Silver Hill, Maryland (you need to be part of a guided tour through the entire Garber collection to see it, and have the tour guide plead, and ultimately demand, that you stick with the group) there are a couple of Skyrockets piles of parts deep in hangars here and there, and so on. The replica of Miss Veedol got wrecked on the Herrick's Air Tour when they let some dweeb land it.

We're not a nation of history buffs like the Brits. Generally people have to see an airplane or - better - see it fly before they can reasonably have interest in it. Very few pilots, for example, have the Jupner collection of books. Now, if people saw, say, an Alexander Bullet and knew Giuseppe didn't just look at it, but took elaborate notes, the bulb would go off in their brains....except that long term Bullet was wrecked, I'm told, but you get the idea. We have all sorts of flying examples for most major aircraft lines, but I challenge you to find more than one Cessna pilot out of a thousand who wound even know that the Cessna AW existed, much less recognize one if they saw it. How many know that the original Cardinal was not a Cessna at all?

Some say that there would be much more interest in early Bellanca efforts if they'd let Lindbergh fly the WB2 instead of that aerodynamic and physical monstrosity he ended up with. Still, for most folks, if you can't touch it, can't fly it, can't even see it, then we're in the territory of esoteric interest. Such interests tend to be passionate but, by their very nature, are shared by few.

Jonathan

I meant Aircruiser :oops:

They are similar. As an interesting aside, Al Mooney worked for Bellanca on the design team for the Airbus.

Jonathan

I've been inside the Tillamook Aircruiser. I've seen it fly, too. This airplane was exported to the Phillippines when new, was exported to Canada as CF-BTW just be fore the war in the Pacific broke out. It came back to the US. about 15 years ago. I think the museum in Winnipeg has a sistership, CF-AWR under long term restoration. There are a couple handfuls of Pacemakers, Skyrockets and my CH in private hands or museums. I think a few other early Bellancas exist, yet to be discovered.

I hope you guys don't mind my splitting this topic up :|

We have quite a bit of information on these types on our website's "Big Bellanca" pages, originally written by Leeo Horishny. See it at http://www.bellanca-championclub.com/menander/index.html

Regards,

You've been INSIDE the Aircruiser, Dan :!: :!: You've seen it fly...OMG.

Alas, as you know and are kind enough to write about in the newsletter, Dan, Airbuses, Aircruisers, Skyrockets, and Pacemakers were never made in large numbers and most of those, it seemed, wound up as working airplanes in tough regions, such as Alaska. I bought some old photos on Ebay of a couple of Pacemakers in service by Wien's Air Alaska...I've yet to dig them up since my last two moves, alas.

Oops...I'd better stick to the Flying W, or poor Robert will have to start another topic :) I've got me a photo of the WB2 lying around here too :mrgreen: And if I mentioned your dad's Curtiss Junior.... :shock:

Jonathan

I have a question though, Dan. I recall reading (or imagine I recall reading) that the ultimate reason why the Airbus and Aircruiser failed commercially was because a rule was issued requiring that scheduled passenger air carriers use aircraft with more than one engine. Is this correct or is this another third hinge on the flap? (sorry - reference to some dumb thing I thought I'd remembered regarding the Viking...but was incorrect)

Jonathan

That statement is true. Apparently, Canada didn't have the same rule. Therefore, most civil Airbus/Aircruisers spent their careers there.

I can't help but wonder how these big Bellancas compare to the largest Russian biplane the AN-2?
Niether look 'elegant' but I've been to Tillamook, and the Bellanca sure took my attention.

Back