Aircraft movement

kingjd

What is everyone using to move your aircraft in and out of the hangar?
Mainly for use moving the aircraft single handedly. Something like the Taildragger dragger or something shop made? Any suggestions? Thanks

I have build a channel in the center of the hangar out of 2x4 and 1x2 for the tail wheel, and have a winch in the back of the hangar. I have a "saddle" that fits around the tail wheel and have a eye bolt sunk into the ground about 30 ft in front of the hangar. I hook a pulley into the eye bolt and run the winch line thru it and back to the tail wheel saddle and just push the winch button and out it comes. To return into the hangar, I just use my tailwheel tow bar to either pull it in, if I feel up to it, or just put the saddle on the tail wheel and winch it in to the hangar using the channel to guide it in. You can get a winch from Harbor Ft. for $50-$60. Tow bar is ok for pulling it in, but not good at all for pushing it out.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I don't have a permenant hangar yet. Is there a reason why you think pushing the plane out with some type tail wheel lift won't work well?

I just can't seem to be able to push the plane from the tail wheel. Have to push it over with some bars that the hangar doors ride on. I can pull it easy from the tail, just can't push it.
If the plane moves easily I don't think you would hurt it. Guess I just need to eat more Wheaties!
I do hope you can get a hanger pretty soon.
If/when I remove the channel and eyebolt from my hanger it will leave no footprint. You might want to ask the hanger owner if you can install what you need on a temporary basis, and remove it when you leave

I went through a similar issue when I was moving my bird around a grass field.

I found that 1 solution doesn't work for forward and reverse.

For towing into the hangar I built a 2 X 4 track with a sloped entrance to guide the tail wheel into a very narrow hangar (6" of clearance on the tail)
I later added a harbor freight winch (on sale for $60, and with a wireless remote) that made towing into the hangar a non issue. I simply tied 2 loops in a piece of rope about 6" apart and hooked the loops over the outside bolts of my tailwheel. I found that the rope would pop loose under very heavy load, but that proved to only happen when something was caught, which I considered a safety feature.

For moving forward, I initially hooked two ratchet strap ropes to the bottom of my struts were my axles bolt in. I hooked these straps in a "V" connected to a golf cart. It towed fairly straight but only in open areas.
I have since fashioned metal bars with "hooks" that wrap around the lower axle struts (horizontal) that allow me to push and pull. Same "V" design that hooks to a golf cart (and cheap riding mower now). I used tennis racket grip tape on the hooks so that I wouldn't scratch my struts

I have since moved to a controlled field that is concrete and now push my bird by hand in and out of the hangar

-Adam

My Cruisair came with this converted rototiller. I made a new front end for it to adapt it to the Cruisemaster.

I have been using a Taildragger dragger for 12 years. I have to pull my Cruisemaster up a slight grade to get it into the hanger. It's not horrible but I can definately tell when the tires are under inflated! I did have to replace one of the wheels after I backed over it in the car :-(. A quick trip to Tractor Supply and I was back in business.

(Tail Dragger Dragger – Manual – (S-1))

A heavy duty manual tow bar tug. Product information includes:
Heavy duty solid rubber 8 inch tread wheels.
Moves tail draggers weighing up to 2,000 lbs. with wheels up to 10 inches in diameter

I had to slightly modify my Taildragger Dragger to hold my tailwheel securely. For some reason, it tended to slip off when I least wanted it to do so. Other than the need to make it a little more secure, it has been an excellent product.

Back